Back to snubbing the food... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Back to snubbing the food...

He has been eating the Innova for days now and then yesterday morning he snubbed it completely. Then again last night...so I looked to add something and settled with a handful of shredded cheese. He ate all of his food then. Then he snubbed it again this morning!!!! I added the cheese again and then he still took all day to eat one bowlful!

What should I add? I gave him a LOT of yummy meat bones last week but havent been to the good store that carries them yet this week so he is without so far...could he be craving them? I gave him some EVO earlier as snacks for training and he WOLFED them down out of my hands and was very excited sniffing and snuffing around for more...even licking the carpet for more tasties.

What should I do???

~Robin~
Proud Mommy to Clover 11/26/09
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as well as not so furry babies, Christopher (5) and Laci (2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Elite Member

I would be cautious about switching again. Sounds like he is just being picky now, and if you give in to him now then he will be constantly trying to push your buttons and demand something new.

how much is he eating now?
You feed 2, or 3 times a day?

If he is not sick and is just being picky, then just put down his food for breakfast, keep it down for 20 minutes. If he doesn't eat it, oh well. It goes up and you can try again at dinner time. He goes on your schedule, not his. For training I would try and use his kibble too if you can for now. That way he isn't holding out for his training goodies.

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

i feed him 2x a day usually. once in the morning around 7am and once in the evening around 6pm.

I dont plan on switching his food...but maybe adding more to his bowl to make him eat better? I dont like the idea of him not eating so much. He isnt sick, just being a brat!

~Robin~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:59 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiapeach717 View Post
i feed him 2x a day usually. once in the morning around 7am and once in the evening around 6pm.

I dont plan on switching his food...but maybe adding more to his bowl to make him eat better? I dont like the idea of him not eating so much. He isnt sick, just being a brat!
don't add things just to get him to eat! He is training you well. Think of it like a child. Would you give them ice cream to get them to eat their balanced meal? He's training you well, turning you into a short order cook!

believe me, he won't starve himself. But, right now, he knows that if he holds out you'll give him something yummy! So, I agree; just put down his food, leave it for 20 mins then pick it back up. If you are worried about him going without food, offer it again in the middle of the day. If he is hungry, he'll eat. It will take a few days before he realizes that you are NEVER going to add anything.
I'd also cut out on the snacks until he is eating good. Then, once he is back on his regular schedule for a while, then you can give him a little something extra mixed in. But do it very rarely, otherwise you will be right back where you started...

If I give Rayden and Freya something extra 2 days in a row, they will try to hold out on me as well.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

well i feel like a moron. *sigh* he ate this morning...but there was cheese...bc I was worried about him. I will offer no more cheese until he eats it plain again. Thanks guys.

~Robin~

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Crowned Member

How is it going? Did he eat?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

he ate this morning just fine...but it was before I got on here, and out of mommy panic I fed him with the cheese again and he snarfed it down. I hate the idea of taking away all his treats. I had already planned on picking up more ribs today for him at Publix, and use the EVO kibble as training treats. I hope he gets back on the eating ball soon!!

~Robin~

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:24 AM
Elite Member

Don't think of it as taking away his treats, think of it as adding unnecessary ingredients. He WILL eventually eat it, but if you keep giving him the cheese you can forget about him ever eating it without it. Minnie was a VERY picky eater, and she held out on us for two days once. I felt awful, but I had to remind myself that SHE was the one not eating. Now she eats like a good girl. I know it's hard, but don't give in!

Minnie - CGC
Tanner
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

he is just so young...
So no meaty chewies? He is teething so bad...he destroyed a wicker basket yesterday!!! LOL!

~Robin~

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Knighted Member

For training reason I still handfeed Ike all his meals. A bit obedience, food, a little obedience, food. When we are about 70% done with the meal, I put the bowl down and he finishes the rest. So if Clover will eat from your hand, I would use that time to do some training games with him. Simple fun stuff. Come to me, look at me, simple fun things like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page