Help with Allergies - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Help with Allergies

Damian is currently on about 80% NV RAW and 20% Orijen LB Puppy. He is CONSTANTLY scratching. I'm finding red bumps on his skin and red rashes on his rear leg pits from his biting.

I've got some medication from the vet, not helping at all. I am considering taking him off the RAW and keeping him on the Orijen to see if that fixes the issue. He is mainly on the chicken and beef RAW, but has been on all that NV offers.

It just seems to be the easiest way to tell if its the NV or not. If it ends up being the NV, I will probably try DIY RAW and see if it comes back.

Is there a downside to this? Orijen is a high quality kibble so I do not feel it will hurt him, but I want experienced opinions!

Thanks in advanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:26 AM
Crowned Member

Are you giving him salmon oil/vitamin E? Humidity in your home helps w/ scratching,too. Has he been to the vet for a skin scrape or diagnosis, or did the vet just give you the meds unseen?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:37 AM

I second that. Do you have your heat on? My kids all started scratching when we put the heat on, and living in Florida the dogs here are pretty used to a high level of humidity. I know I got really dry skin myself. I started giving everyone some Fish Oil and E and that helped alot.

That said, if he's scratched himself so badly that he has bumps and rashes he may have have started a secondary staph infection or some kind of pyoderma- which also itches. If that's the case, you have to clear that up and treat the underlying cause before the itchies will go away. When Argos went through this as a puppy, we had to use an antibacterial shampoo (Chlorhexidine) and an oral antibiotic (Cephalexin) from our vet to clear it up completely. We also changed his food from Science Diet and haven't had any problems since he was 6 months old (he's 3 now).

I'm not sure how severe Damien's problem is. But it's something to keep in mind.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Elite Member

It could be a few things. All of the NV recipes that I found online have flaxseed in them.... they are also not specifically one protein only. In the chicken alone you have chicken and turkey plus duck and quail eggs.

If it is one ingredient in the NV that he is allergic to, like flaxseed, then switching to just Orijen would be a great fix, however, if it is something related to a protein source, like chicken, turkey, beef, etc. then stopping the NV won't help.
Orijen has 6 protein sources (Chicken, turkey, herring, salmon, lake whitefish, and walleye). If it turns out Damian is allergic to chicken for example, the only way to know is too eliminate it from his diet, If you feed just fish for a month and no scratching and then added in chicken and he starts scratching like crazy, most likely it is the chicken. It is hard to do with a food that is composed of many different ingredients.

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Well it SEEMS like he start the constant scratching when I put him on NV. Thats just a rough guestimate though. Thats why I want to start with something simple. Also, the vet looked at his skin, as well as Cindy from TBWDC and she said its nothing bad right now, so I can just try the little things. Its not really a rash, the redness goes away after hre quits biting after awhile, and there are a couple of red bumps on his back near the hind end.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Elite Member

Well keep us updated with the little guy. So the small changes you are making.... adding Salmon oil and Vitamin E? And humidity control? Just trying to determine the "attack plan". Hope it works out, but if not, let me know and I'll try to help you with the DIY raw. BTW did you get my PM I sent right before the forum switch?

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

^ I don't think I got it, but I did get the email, thank you very much.

Right now he is just on the Orijen, with some salmon oil. I'll keep the thread update to see how it works.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page