Recurring diahrroea - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Recurring diahrroea

Hi Peepz, Steiger is 9weeks old and it's the 2nd time he got diarrhoea seemingly all of a sudden. We feeding him Hill's Science Start which I was told is the best to feed a growing puppy. We try and keep everything the same, measuring the feed, even sticking to feeding times and precise location of the feeding bowl.However, his stools change within a matter of hours, from firm with no smell to running with a sourish odour. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Recurring diahrroea

I'd check with the vet.Has he been dewormed?He may have a food allergy too.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Crowned Member

I would feed him a better food. Science Diet is [email protected]!

Welcome to the board.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Elite Member

I agree you need a better food the SD may not be working with his system at all.

We personally use Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato which is for all stages I believe.

Start with a starter bag of a higher quality food and go from there and see what works.

We had a lot of poop issues with Sonny and that is how we figured out what worked best for him.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 PM

He needs to be tested for worms. Also science diet is a TERRIBLE food! Biljac, natural balance and innova are a lot better. We had stomach problems with our dog and when we switched to raw she was fine! By the way it's spelled diarrhea. I got that mixed up a lot with our GSD, diarohea dairhea. Yeah
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 09:28 PM

I'm fairly certain Bil Jac is rated 1 star under:
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...ndex.php/cat/1

That is pretty poor, although that is not to say that some dogs don't do well on it...

I personally like Orijen LBP, but with grain free foods you need to be careful about the calcium content which is what I read. So other grain free diets, which may be just as high quality as Orijen are probably best for adult dogs.

I would look at the reviews on that site and find something that works for your puppy =)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 PM

my pup had diarrhea when she was about 8-9 week old. ended up on antibiotics, the vet tells me to try science diet so i do, not knowing better. aafter trying that and testing some different foods, it turns out grains dont agree with her tummy so well. which i believe science diet has an abundance of. then i realized that probably the only reason the vet told me to get that food is because they sell it there. so i no longer go to that vet.

i decided i could only trust myself and fellow gsd owners.i researched this forum for ideas. and found out a lot about commercial dog foods. which ones are good, which are not.

i switched to the grain free foods, most of which are considered the good foods. almost instantly her poop was solid and normal. havent had any major problems since. except that shes a picky eater so i need to change it up every so often to keep her interested.

anyways, the foods i have tried so far are:

canidae als
orijen large breed puppy
solid gold wolf cub (currently on this)

some people say the high protien in orijen can cause softer stools. i didnt have a problem, but just some extra info for ya.

im quite happy with the solid gold so far, and my pup gets excited for dinner time too.

also i would probably check for worms too. my vet tells me you should deworm once a month until they are 6 months. how true that is i dont know, but i figure how much could it really hurt.

- Chris

Kyah (born 09/09/2008)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Knighted Member

Where are you located?

~Kristin

and the Balakai Mesa Mutts + a GSD
Yoda, CATCH3 GM AAD AS ASA AJ TN-E TG-E OGC EJC EAC WV-O NADAC Nov/Open Vers TSAD TMAG
Darby, CL1 CL2-S CL2-F CL2-H TN-N L1-PLT
India, CL1-F CL2-H CL1-S
ATB: GSDs Baron, Duke, All American JD
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for great response. . . I doubt any of the food mentioned in the forum is available in my country(South Africa). The only one's available to my knowledge is Royal Canin, Hill's, Eukanuba, Pedigree, Purina. Which of the above does the forum recommend?Currently he is on a bland diet of brown rice & chicken. He's still very energetic, chases everything that moves, he's ussual playful self except for the loose stool. What I do notice is that his coat is starting to smell rather unpleasant. Is this normal? Keep responding it's greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page