I am so confused - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

I am so confused

I am bringing home an 8 week old GSD puppy in one week. The breeder is feeding her pedigree puppy. I have been reading the forums the past couple of days and now realize that I need to switch her to a better alternative. The problem is that all of the information is making me crazy. The point about not feeding puppy food because it makes them grow to fast makes perfect sense. I just have no idea what to feed her now!

I hate to be a cheater on this, but can I just have a few advices on some adult dry dog food to buy her from Petsmart or Petco. At least until I can figure out all of these special foods that one orders online. Also, how should one "slowly" switch foods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Master Member

Re: I am so confused

Most Petcos have Natural Balance, Wellness and Solid Gold brands. They are the best brands carried by Petco. Pick an adult food from one of these brands that fit your budget. The bigger your budget is, pick a more expensive formula. In this business, if you pick a good brand, you do get what you pay for.
Petsmart has a more limited selection of good foods. So if both are in the same general distance from you, I would prefer Petco over Petsmart.
As far as switching, I wouldn't take too much time switching an 8 week old from a really crappy food like Pedigree to the much better ones I mentioned. 2 or 3 days transitioning s/d be enough. If it was me, I w/d just switch cold turkey as an 8 wk old puppy has not really acclimated to any one type of food.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Elite Member

I always thought for a large breed puppy you need a large breed puppy food or an all stages one with lower calcium etc too much calcium is bad can help cause PANNO
natural balance is really low in protein and you need to feed 2x as much according to the bag...
I would feed for a few weeks what the breeder is feeding and then slowly switch.. Just a new home is stressful enough
good luck with your new puppy

KATHY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Master Member

Petco now also carries the Pinnacle line, and PetsMart has good food, too.

If your dog has a solid digestive tract, and can tolerate grains like rice and barley, the Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food at PetsMart is a darned good food. Avoderm is also available, too.

Whatever you do, be sure to keep the pup on the same food as the breeder, and transition SLOWLY, otherwise you'll end up on a "good food" hunt because too fast of a switch can cause the runs like you wouldn't believe. Also, if you do switch to a premuim food, be sure that when you reach the point during the transition when you've got your dog 100% on the new food, be sure to that you on the LOW end of the feeding recommendation amount, as too much of a highly-nutritious (rich) food can also wreak havoc, and then you won't know if it is the food you switched to or the amount of food you feed that might have caused the runs.

Obedience, Behavior, Personal Protection Training

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maya vom Hinterland - whelped July, 2008
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input and advice
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Master Member

Never, Count Bruno and MrLeadFoot gave you more conservative advice on the food transition so you s/d go with theirs not mine. I've always had puppies with really good genetics so I've never had a problem w/runny stools even with food switches, but their advice is more prudent.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: OceanNever, Count Bruno and MrLeadFoot gave you more conservative advice on the food transition so you s/d go with theirs not mine. I've always had puppies with really good genetics so I've never had a problem w/runny stools even with food switches, but their advice is more prudent.
OK, my turn to back-peddle a little now, too.

The reason I said to do a gradual switch is because IF the dog has good stools on the Pedigree, which you'll know quite soon after he comes home, you'll not want to upset his little system.

But, even after the transition to her new home (mine), my pup continuously had bad stools, so I figure why transition if the food the pup is on is causing the runs, because I'm just contributing to an irritated intestine, does that make sense? So, in that sense what Oean said makes sense, and a 100% switch couldn't result in anything worse, right?

On the other hand, Ocean has a point, too. If the dog was weaned onto "real" food only days prior, chances are his digestive tract is already in a state of turmoil, so a 100% switch wouldn't be that bad.

I hope this doesn't confuse you even more, but this is what I would do:

1) Make the move to your home as stress-free as possible to reduce the likelihood of an upset stomach (nerves).

2) Feed the current food for two days, which would probably be 6 - 8 SMALL meals.

3a) If the stools are good proceed with a gradual transition. OR...

3b) If the stools are soft, wait one more day, and if they are still loose, you can probably just switch.

Obedience, Behavior, Personal Protection Training

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maya vom Hinterland - whelped July, 2008
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:04 AM

When my pup came home, I had to transition her off of Iams and to the food I chose - Canidae ALS (all life stages). Over a period of about one week, I gradually added more Canidae, until that was all she was eating.

I personally think that you should not rush this change...a new home is a very stressful time for a pup.

Melissa & the Girls
*Grace, 7 yo GSD*
*Kira, 3 yo GSD*
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: 2SableGirls
I personally think that you should not rush this change...a new home is a very stressful time for a pup.
I agree. Everything in the puppies world has changed drastically. Keeping their food the same as it was getting at the breeder will be the ONE thing that is familiar to the pup.

The pup is likely to have been eating the food the breeder feeds for WEEKS, not just a few days. Even if it is "less than great" food, feeding it to the pup for a few more weeks isn't going to hurt anything. I have always fed what the breeder did for about a week or so then gradually switched. I've never had a pup that didn't eat well from the first meal at my house and they have never gotten the runs either. A pup MIGHT be fine with a "cold turkey" switch, or it might NOT, why risk it?

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Crowned Member

I like MrLeadFoot am a fan fo the Breeders Choice line, I feed the Avoderm and have had great results from it from all 3 of mine.

Most important take the infomation that everybody gives you pick a food that you can afford and is something that you pup does really well on it. Clean eyes nice small firm poo's, nice shiny soft fur.

Like others have said, I would give your pup a few weeks on what he is being feed currently, I would atleast do 3 weeks. then start to do the switch.

Good Luck on your new addition.!!! and CONGRATS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page