pinnacle food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

pinnacle food

I was looking around at Pinnacle brand and I know they are known for sensitive stomachs but I was wondering if the peak protein kind was also for sensitive stomachs or if it is just the chicken and salmon that is for sensitive stomachs(those are not rated as high as the peak protein). Also, can you give these to foods to puppies?? We are on Royal canine just for the runny poop issue(seemed to stop the runs) but I dont think it is very great food. Tried Canidae and she got the runs again and didnt even like it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Crowned Member

Re: pinnacle food

I would guess that the peak protein was just as good as the other formulas for sensitive stomachs as the ingredients are very similar. The trout formula and the duck one are for adult dogs, the chicken is for dogs and puppies but I am not sure if the Peak Protein is for puppies or just adults.
I would say Pinnacle is definitely a better food than Royal Canin. Which Royal Canin formula are you using? Maybe you can figure out why it is stopping the runs when Canidae is not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: sumI was looking around at Pinnacle brand and I know they are known for sensitive stomachs but I was wondering if the peak protein kind was also for sensitive stomachs or if it is just the chicken and salmon that is for sensitive stomachs(those are not rated as high as the peak protein). Also, can you give these to foods to puppies?? We are on Royal canine just for the runny poop issue(seemed to stop the runs) but I dont think it is very great food. Tried Canidae and she got the runs again and didnt even like it. Thanks!
For the record, although the Trout and Sweet Potatoes formula is the only one that specifically says "for sensitive stomachs" on the label, all formulas are designed to be easy on the stomach. I got this information by speaking to someone at the manufacturer, and my experience concurs, as far as the Chicken and Oats formula is concerned.

While the Chicken and Oats, Trout and Sweet Potatoes, and Duck and Potato formulas are all safe for large-breed puppies, the Peak Protein formula should not be given to large-breed pups because it has too much calcium.

My dog had soft poop issues on 6 or 7 different foods, including Royal Canin, and Pinnacle Chicken and Oats cured it.

Obedience, Behavior, Personal Protection Training

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maya vom Hinterland - whelped July, 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Crowned Member

I would love to feed the Pinnacle but have yet to really find anywhere in my area that sells it. (if anybody from Ohio near me knows of a store that has it please let me know)

But w/ that being said, I have been feeding the Breeders Choice Avoderm and have been very very happy with that.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

We use the large breed royal canine and it does stop the runs but gives her terrible gas!!! But because we have tried 2 premium puppy foods(wellness, and canidae)and they both gave the runs I am leery of changing her over so I may wait until she is bigger to try changing her over if we stand the smell for that long!!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: HarleyGirl52874I would love to feed the Pinnacle but have yet to really find anywhere in my area that sells it. (if anybody from Ohio near me knows of a store that has it please let me know)

But w/ that being said, I have been feeding the Breeders Choice Avoderm and have been very very happy with that.
Have you tried Petco lately? I just discovered that they JUST started carrying it. FWIW, in my area, they never did up until very recently. I saw it when I was there buying a new crate on Friday, and when I commented on it, one of the clerks said they just started carrying it. I would think that being a chain store, they would all carry it, but if they didn't, they can probably get it for you and you wouldn't have to pay shipping.

I also see found it in feed stores around here.

As an aside, when my dog was on Avoderm, her coat was REALLY, REALLY shiny, almost oily, but nevertheless shinier than anything. Do you see the same results with yours on th Avoderm?

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:12 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: sumWe use the large breed royal canine and it does stop the runs but gives her terrible gas!!! But because we have tried 2 premium puppy foods(wellness, and canidae)and they both gave the runs I am leery of changing her over so I may wait until she is bigger to try changing her over if we stand the smell for that long!!
I hear you on going through a real PITA (pun intended) in an attempt to find a good solution, as I went through it. But, in my opinion, the puppy stage is the most crucial time in a dog's life because that's when their major development is going on. And, that's why I decided to soldier on, and went through all the pains of finding a good food that was agreeable to my pup's system.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 05:04 AM
Knighted Member

i know im a broken record on this, but as someone else mentioned in another thread, i also have seen some gruesome results from large breed pups fed a diet too high in calcium. pinnacle peak protein is at 2.11%, and the fat is crazy high at 22%. i dont think they had large breed pups in mind with this food.

Pinnacle
Peak Protein Formula

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein not less than 42.0%
Crude Fat not less than 22.0%
Crude Fiber not more than 2.0%
Moisture not more than 10.0%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids minimum 5.12%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids minimum 0.50%
Caloric Content
Metabolizable Energy (calculated) 4100 kcal/kg
Metabolizable Energy (calculated) 500 kcal/cup

Nutrient Analysis
Vitamins Function As Fed Unit
Vitamin A Eyes / Coat / Bones / Skin 116,721.00 IU/KG
Vitamin D Vigor / Bones / Teeth 1,509.00 IU/KG
Vitamin E Reproduction / Fetal Growth 87.00 IU/KG
Thiamine (B1) Nerves / Digestion 4.30 IU/KG
Riboflavin (B2) Eyes / Skin / Enzymes 10.80 MG/KG
Pantothenic Acid Growth / Nerves 20.10 MG/KG
Niacin Nerves / Coat 37.90 MG/KG
Pyridoxine Blood / Growth 4.10 MG/KG
Folic Acid Growth / Maint / Blood 1.40 MG/KG
Biotin Metabolism / Skin / Coat 0.18 MG/KG
Vitamin B12 Blood 0.01 MG/KG
Choline Liver / Kidney / Nerves 3,421.00 MG/KG
Minerals Function As Fed Unit
Calcium Bones / Teeth / Muscle 2.11 %
Phosphorus Bones / Teeth / Muscle 1.38 %
Avail. Phosphorus Bones / Teeth / Muscle 1.20 %
Potassium Body Fluids / Metabolism 1.87 %
Sodium Regulate Body Fluids 0.39 %
Chloride Regulate Body Fluids 0.72 %
Magnesium Bones / Teeth / Muscles 0.10 %
Iron Blood 298.00 MG/KG
Copper Blood 9.20 MG/KG
Manganese Bones / Teeth / Muscle 17.60 MG/KG
Zinc Reproduction / Skin 127.00 MG/KG
Iodine Thyroid 1.70 MG/KG
Selenium Bones / Muscle 0.40 MG/KG
Amino Acids As Fed Unit
Arginine 2.34 %
Lysine 1.62 %
Methionine & Cystine 1.23 %
Tryptophan 0.35 %
Histidine 0.95 %
Leucine 2.60 %
Isoleucine 1.47 %
Phenylalanine & Tyrosine 1.52 %
Threonine 1.27 %
Valine 1.66 %
Fatty Acids As Fed Unit
Arachidonic Acid 0.18 %
Linoleic Acid 4.50 %
Linolenic Acid 0.18 %
Omega-6 4.12 %
Omega-3 0.50 %

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Knighted Member

Is there a Petsmart nearby? The one closest to me carries Pinnacle.

~Kristin

and the Balakai Mesa Mutts + a GSD
Yoda, CATCH3 GM AAD AS ASA AJ TN-E TG-E OGC EJC EAC WV-O NADAC Nov/Open Vers TSAD TMAG
Darby, CL1 CL2-S CL2-F CL2-H TN-N L1-PLT
India, CL1-F CL2-H CL1-S
ATB: GSDs Baron, Duke, All American JD
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Crowned Member

Ya know we did have a Petco about half an hour from me but wouldn't ya know they closed! I will have to do a search and see if there are any other Petco's close to me,

Yes, their coats are very shiny, although they are blowing coat right now, need a good brushing but I have been a bad fur mom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page