HELLLO EVERYONE GIVE ME ADVISE! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

HELLLO EVERYONE GIVE ME ADVISE!

hey im the owner of a 6 month old 60 lb sable gsd male thor From toronto canada.. i had him on a food called proformatrin ultra lamb and rice he got really bored of that .. and i now have ROyal canin "MAXI from 56 to 100lbs german sheperd 24 for shepherds over 15 months old ( i know my dogs only 6 months but i assumed they just wanted me to buy there puppy food) i will give u the gurenteed analysis

crude protrin ( min):24%

crude fat(min)19%

crude fiber(max)4.4%

moisture10%

*Glucosamine hydrochloride(min) (780mg/kg)

*sodium sulfate*(min)220mg/kg

vitaminE(miN)600 iu/kg

ascorbic acid*(min) 300mg/kg

what do u think about this and this brand please let me know thanks for takin the time to help me !

-Eric

Thor 1 and half yr old sable gsd
Gizmo 1 year old black pug!
both perfect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Knighted Member

Re: HELLLO EVERYONE GIVE ME ADVISE!

since you asked, i dont think much of RC as a company. their marketing, with all the breed specific foods, is clever, but i dont think their is anything that makes it uniquely better for any of those breed. i never understood how they get away with charging so much for a middle of the road food. they are starting to get involved w/ veterinary schools the way science diet does, indoctrinating vet students to their products. some vets already push it in their practices, which i dont see as a positive.

off the top of my head, i can buy the following foods locally that, imo, are much better and do not cost one cent more (and would be appropriate for a 6 month old). in fact, many of them are cheaper.

orijen large breed puppy
canidae als
natures variety prarie
wellness
innova adult or large breed puppy
solid gold wolfcub
fromm four star
eagle pack

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Crowned Member

I think it is WAY too expensive for the quality. Not something I would feed my dogs. I also don't like the fact that they don't show a complete nutrient profile on the website.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Elite Member

Since your in canada you should be able to get Orijien locally at a decent price. have you checked their products?

RAMSEY 10/07

Mark.o
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Crowned Member

Some people are having good luck feeding Royal Canin. It depends on the dog, really. Personally, I will never feed a daily diet of anything with grains because they have quite the negative behavior impact for my dog and before raw I've had the best luck with grain-free. Your pup is probably too young for many grain-free kibble diets. Roxy's list is great. In addition to the guaranteed analysis, you have to look at the ingredients listing. It's best to have specifically named meats and meat meals in the first five ingredients. "Meat meal" is not good but "chicken meal" is because it is specific. I'd start with the highest quality kibble you can afford and work your way around and down until you find something that does well for your dog.

Signs of doing poorly: increased itching, redness, hot spots, flakey skin, dry coat, rough coat, bad breath, strong "doggie odor," huge poops, loose poops, general loss of vigor.

Signs of doing well: no itching or any skin issues, glossy coat, no dandruff, low or no doggie odor, no bad breath, small and firm poops, excellent vigor, good energy level without being hyper.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Crowned Member

Well I guess I will throw my 2 cents in here. I have 4 dogs on Royal Canin GS-24 and all are doing fine, nice coats, nice stools and good body condition. I have tried a few other foods and it is the only food that all four of my dogs do well on. I would not feed GS-24 to a 6 month old puppy. While some people think their formulations are pure marketing I can only tell you that it works for 4 out of 4 dogs in my house.

There are a few others and a breeder who uses Royal Canin products.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page