Taste of the Wild? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Taste of the Wild?

I have seen many times on here where people are saying that you shouldn't feed high protein foods to GSDs' until they are one? Why is that? What happends to them if they eat a high quality, grain free, high protein food? How can that be bad for them? Or is it just personal preference when it all comes down to it?

The reason for asking about this - I feed Isis Pedigree Lamb & Rice formula (because she wasn't eating the purina puppy food i got from the breeder when I brought her home in december, which is in a previous post) and she is now 20 weeks old. I am looking to switch to a high quality adult dog food for her. Just slow with the switch because I found a food she absolutely loves and I hate to switch her and she doesn't want to eat her food at meal times. I do want to give her a better quality food however and feel that it would be better to switch her food in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Taste of the Wild?

It isn't the high protien, it is the high calcium that is In the high protien, grain free kibble that is the "issue". The vast majority of grain free kibble has more calcium that is recommended for a large breed puppy. EXCEPT for Orijen LBP and 6 fish.

There are some breeders on the board that feed TOTW to their puppies the time they are weaned.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:20 PM
dOg
Elite Member

It's also a precaution against pano.
Why some recommend against "puppy" formulas beyond 16 weeks rather than a whole year.
Others feel too much protien causes too much Seratonin in brain chemistry, and spazier behaviors from pups, who can already be plenty spaz.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Crowned Member

I've seen dogs who have grown too fast because of calcium levels in their food and it isnt a pretty site. Do you really want to risk your dog growing too fast because of calcium levels and being in pain every step he or she takes. Pano is not something you want your pup to live with. Wait with the TOTW or any other high calcium grain free until the right age.

Speaking of the right age... shouldn't dogs wait until 2 years old before it's safe? The above post mentioned it was a year old, but I always thought it was two years.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

I know I saw it in some posts in nutrition section that say wait a year. Hmm so do I wait til she is one years old or two years old?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 09:59 PM

Would you say that Blue Buffalo Wilderness is bad for a 6 month old puppy then?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know about blue buffalo. I do know I've weaned 2 litters onto the pacific stream formulas and prelims that I've done look good so far as well as some of their owners that have done prelims.

I've had puppies get pano when I fed Canidae (ALS and other formulas of theirs). I fed it for my first 5 litters. No problems with pano on the pacific stream totw formula.

I know others will disagree, but I'm going off of my own experiences with the product and xrays that have been done versus what some study says. But to each their own.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: dOgIt's also a precaution against pano.
Why some recommend against "puppy" formulas beyond 16 weeks rather than a whole year.
Others feel too much protien causes too much Seratonin in brain chemistry, and spazier behaviors from pups, who can already be plenty spaz.
dOg, do you have any links on the seratonin/ and behavior? A friend w/ a briard male who went a little spazi in his 12-17 mos age, her breeder told her about this and I haven't been able to find info on it. Thanks, sorry to hi-jack this thread w/ this question.
I feed TOTW pacific stream as a supplement to the raw diet and plan on feeding this combo to a puppy(when I ever get one) as well. Though I will get the breeder's opinion on diet beforehand...and after having see Onyx go thru three bouts of Pano, I want to avoid it if possible w/ my next baby.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Angela_WI don't know about blue buffalo. I do know I've weaned 2 litters onto the pacific stream formulas and prelims that I've done look good so far as well as some of their owners that have done prelims.

I've had puppies get pano when I fed Canidae (ALS and other formulas of theirs). I fed it for my first 5 litters. No problems with pano on the pacific stream totw formula.

I know others will disagree, but I'm going off of my own experiences with the product and xrays that have been done versus what some study says. But to each their own.
Isn't it the calcium that people have a problem with in these foods? I'm no expert but that's what I've read. It seems that Blue Buffalo only has 1.0% min calcium.

http://www.bluebuff.com/products/dogs/wilderness.shtml

Do those ingrediants look ok?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Knighted Member

ive seen some foods that list close to 1% calcium as a minimum value but are still at 2% on an "as fed" basis. you probably would have to contact Blue Buffalo to get this number. it would be nice if they would all list the min and max or just the max %.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page