4 1/2 GSD is having diarrhea recently - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

4 1/2 GSD is having diarrhea recently

He is 4 1/2 months old and recently he has been having diarrhea. Is this from him teething. We haven't changed his food, we do give him calcium vitamens 3 times a day but we have done this since he was 6 weeks old and it's never affected him. His food is IAMS puppy food. He has been house broke since he was 7 weeks and recently has went in the house 4 times in the past 2 weeks. I am worried about him and of course his vet is closed today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Master Member

Re: 4 1/2 GSD is having diarrhea recently

How bad is the diarrhea? How many poopies for now? Have u seen any blood in it? Any different color? Boil rice for him, and get him as much as water he can drink. Since this is going on for the past 2 weeks, maybe he has a parasitic infection (might be giardia). I think it might be a good idea to get him checked by a vet. Since he is a puppy, his immune system is not fully developed. Is he fully vaccinated?

Musa

My Kenzo 07/2007-11/2008 RIP My Baby Boy

Laila Pester-ella (the evil minpin) DOB:11/2007

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

It is pretty soft almost like mashed potatoes. There has been no blood in it and it is a darker color. Recently also he hasn't been drinking as much water as he usually does. Thank you very much for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:41 PM

I agree with all Valium asked/said. You asked about teething - varying opinions from dog people. I have experience with a small breed that had diarrhea all through teething with no other cause found. Vet said it's not terribly unusual (especially since small dogs typically swallow baby teeth, but he also said it must be monitored closely. Diarrhea even intermittently for weeks can wreak havoc on adult dog, let alone a youngster.

Have you noticed any other symptoms, anything at all different in his behavior during this period of time?

One other thing, if you plan a trip to the vet, a stool sample collected as close to the appointment time as possible is typically helpful. Not necessarily pleasant, but helpful.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. He has been acting normal. Again he hasn't been drinking as much water. He used to drink to bowls a day, now I'm lucky if he drinks one whole bowl.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:48 PM

Three vit. c's a day is a bit to much. to much Vitamin c could cause the diarrhea, but since you've given him the vit. c for so long with no problems before, than it can't be the vit. c. But I can't tell you how terrible Iams is. Like its a really, really bad dog food!!!!! I bet the Iams is causing the dairrhea. But he could have worms, so when the vet is open go get him tested for worms. I would recomeend biljac, california natural, natural balance, Innova, Canaidae, FROMM, and Origeen. There pretty exspensive, but they are good dog foods. and above all I would recomeeend a raw diet! Hope his gets better!!!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

We starting giving him 2 vitamens a day and since his weight went up the vet said to give him three a day now. He has been on IAMS since he was born. I don't understand how recently it has affected him but I will change since it's not good. What isn't good about it though. I have been told that IAMS is one of the best???? I do want to get the correct dog food, I just need so more info on them please. When you say raw diet, what are you meaning. Sorry for all the questions, I'm a newb. thanks for the help.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Banned

if your dog had diarrhea for two weeks, two weeks, you should have taken him to the Vet long ago. even though he seems better maybe you should take him to the Vet. take a stool sample with you.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: doggiedadif your dog had diarrhea for two weeks, two weeks, you should have taken him to the Vet long ago. even though he seems better maybe you should take him to the Vet. take a stool sample with you.
Just wondering how this helps. I thought since he is teething it might be normal, or the bones I have been giving him and now the 4th time that it happened I'm going to have it checked but it's hard when it happened last night and the vet's closed today. Please keep sarcastic comments to yourself.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Adam1824we do give him calcium vitamens 3 times a day but we have done this since he was 6 weeks old
did your vet recommend this? a good dog food will have plenty of calcium for a gsd pup. excess calcium is most definitely linked to abnormal skeletal development.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page