Feeding grain free food to puppies - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Feeding grain free food to puppies

I read on another post that grain free food is not recommended for dogs under 24mo.......can anyone tell me why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Feeding grain free food to puppies

If you are talking about processed grain-free food (kibble) then I think it's because of the high level of protein (not sure).

If you are talking a non-processed diet (raw) then that recommendation is false.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Quote: The gastrointestinal systems of puppies are designed by nature to metabolize high protein, high fat foods that are rich in meat.
Like all dogs, large breed puppies lack the digestive enzymes (amylase) need to properly metabolize carbohydrate from grains.
For Puppies it's more the calcium content than the protein levels you should be worried about.

OTCH SG1 (CAN) Deejay von Hausnobilis UD HIT CGN
~A Well-Balanced Dog has Titles at Both Ends~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fayanna vom Wildhaus CGN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Knighted Member

there is nothing about the absence of grains that is, in and of itself, a problem.

most grain free kibble has the following characteristics:
-30+% protein levels
there is no evidence that higher protein is a problem, except from some very old studies done on rodents.
-higher levels of calcium (as fed), usually around 2% or higher
there is modern research showing higher calcium levels leading to bone growth abnormalities in large breed pups
-they are calorie dense

just my opinion, but i see no reason to avoid a grain free diet for a gsd pup if the calcium levels are kept at 1.5% (commonly the calcium % recommended to stay at or below) and one is careful to avoid overfeeding and keeps the pup lean. the problem is that very few grain free kibbles meat this criteria. orijen puppy large does. some natural balance might, but i dont know what the calcium levels are on an "as fed" basis.

having said that, unless a pup really isnt handling grains well, i dont think there is any compelling reason to start out with a grainless food. i think most of the grainless foods would be fine after 12 months since most, if not all, skeletal growth is done by then (not to be confused with continued development through additional muscle mass/filling out)

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Knighted Member

Champion Pet Foods the makers of Orijen also the produces of the Acana line have 4 that fit the bill.
A Great Canadian Company with Great food!!
Orijen Large Puppy, Orijen Six Fish, Acana Grain Free Prairie Harvest Dog & PACIFICA Dog.
All have low Calcium 1.3% -> 1.4%.
I have fed to our puppy the Orijen Large Puppy & now Acana Grain Free Prairie Harvest Dog.

OTCH SG1 (CAN) Deejay von Hausnobilis UD HIT CGN
~A Well-Balanced Dog has Titles at Both Ends~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fayanna vom Wildhaus CGN
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Master Member

so the 2.2% in the california natural puppy food is too much calcium?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page