What to expect when switching foods? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

What to expect when switching foods?

Seems that Shelby (5mo) has a sensitive stomach. His original food was giving him stools that i wasn't very impressed with and then he got a case of diarreha. He went on a bland diet and then some meds when he stools showed up with mucus. He had well formed stools for awhile and then when we began to reintroduce his food, his stools went soft again. So, I decided we need to try another brand. I choose Natural Balance after trying to read and analyze all of the different brands and feeling like this is harder than feeding my two year old human baby...........we began a slow intro to the new food in his lunch and dinner and his stools are loose. What should I expect during this transition and how long should I give the new food before trying something else. I don't want to confuse his system too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Master Member

Re: What to expect when switching foods?

In my experience, which was a hot topic for ME recently, I found that if the dog already is having bad digestive problems on a food, a transition isn't going to help because even if the new food is good, you won't know because the dog keeps getting bad results from the first food. In the end, I just switched 100%.

The one I found that works best is Pinnacle, for MY dog, anyways. Do a search for my name and you'll find some stuff on it that I recently posted. And, if your dog really has a sensitive stomach, know that all the Pinnacle formulas are designed from sensitive sotmachs. If you decide to go the Pinnacle route, stay away from the Pinnacle Peak Protein formula for now, because calcium levels are too high for GSD pups.

For your convenience, here's one of my posts in a rather interesting thread you might want to read:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...true#Post959045

There's also plenty more on this topic on this forum. Check out the search function. Unfortunately the search function on this forum is something to be desired, in that only newer threads are searchable, but since there's been threads on foods lately, you should find more helpful stuff.

Obedience, Behavior, Personal Protection Training

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maya vom Hinterland - whelped July, 2008
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I did read your post from earlier and it was helpful. I didn't see Pinnacle at PetCo. Where do you buy from? Are you happy with this food overall, as in energy levels, coat and skin health, etc.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Master Member

While someone on here said their local Petco carries it, neither my Petco nor PetsMart carries it. However, several pet specialty stores and feed store around me carry it.

Energy level is great on my dog. No flakies or itching, other than the normal scratch the collar here and there, and believe it or not her coat is softer than it's ever been, but I must admit the Avodern gave her the shiniest coat of all foods I tried, albeit it felt a bit oily, but since Avoderm didn't agree with her digestive system, I had to switch. But, even though Avoderm gave her the shiniest coat, it is noticably softer now. And, who looks for a SOFT coat, you know what I mean? So, it's definitely softer.

FWIW, Avoderm and Pinnacle are both made by Breeder's Choice, but Pinnacle is their premium holistic food.

Obedience, Behavior, Personal Protection Training

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maya vom Hinterland - whelped July, 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page