natural balance - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

natural balance

so our 16 week old has been on california natural for 8 weeks because we suspected a food allergy. We went to the pet expo a couple of weeks ago and tons of coupons for natural balance, so I picked up a bag last week and have been gradually adding to each feed...what's your experience/opinion of the natural balance?? At first I wanted to switch because the california natural is expensive, but i have noticed that i would have to feed more of the NB to equal the CN, so I might not be saving any money once i run out of coupons...BTW the price difference was about $5-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 07:04 AM
Knighted Member

Re: natural balance

My dog does well with it. She has a beautiful coat and the vet is impressed. If you join Natural Balance's "club" on their website, you will receive coupons for their products monthly. It's usually $1-$2 but it's better than nothing.

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

he is now doing half and half and doesn't seem to be scratching a lot, which is what he was doing on the breeders feed....our pup too has a dark shiny soft coat, even his adult fur, I want to keep it!! BTW DHau, do you feed the recommended ammount on the bag? Dresden is 16 weeks and 45 lbs., they say 4-6 cups...on the CN I'm feeding 3 cups
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Knighted Member

I didn't pay too much attention to what was on the bag but what my breeder told me to do. I think I fed my puppy 1 1/2 cups 3X a day and can't remember if that was plus chicken or beef supplements. Each dog is different. If the dog has firm poops then you are doing great. If runny or soft, you may be feeding too much.

When I first got my puppy, I used the NB Premium dog food. I then switched over to Duck and Sweet Potato because I had a gut feeling my dog was allergic to chicken. As it turns out, I was correct. She is still scratching on the Duck and Sweet Potatoe so I may have to switch over to a product that has fish in it.

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 11:18 AM

i raised all of my pack on the natural balance ultra premium....all 5 from the pugs up to my gsd, they did wonderful. but when storm got itchy, i put them all on the wellness core and went totally grain free while incorporating some raw into their diet. i do the premade raw though. still unsure of myself to do the actual raw, raw, lol!!!

"Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole".....

Roger Caras
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Elite Member

We were on CA Natural too but found even that one grain made Sonny itchy and he had diaherria so we went back to what his foster mom had him on which was Natural Balance and our poop issues have been resolved. Saying that is allergic to grains totally and we will stay on this food.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 10:56 AM

sometimes it can take awhile to find a food that the dog does well on. then sometimes they can do well for awhile then not so much. the whole dog journal recommends at a minimum to switch your proteins up at least once a year.

"Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole".....

Roger Caras
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Elite Member

Natural balance Sweet Potatoe and fish has done an excellent job for my dog. he,s been on it since last Aug. excellent coat,stools energy level etc.

RAMSEY 10/07

Mark.o
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: EllyWe were on CA Natural too but found even that one grain made Sonny itchy and he had diaherria so we went back to what his foster mom had him on which was Natural Balance and our poop issues have been resolved. Saying that is allergic to grains totally and we will stay on this food.
isn't there rice in NB?? I'll have to check...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

my main concern was that i only fed 3 cups of CN and the NB says 4-6 for his current weight...at that rate it wouldn't be worth the $5 difference in price, I also noticed that NB bag was 12.5 lbs vs the CN 15 lb bag..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page