My big boy is not eating.......... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

My big boy is not eating..........

Bacchus came to our home this past Saturday (31st). Our breeder weighed him and he weighed 18.25 that day. I know it's very traumatic for them and the transition can interfere with their eating. So our breeder gave us Albon to give to him (half tablet) once a day just as a precaution for coccidia nothing more than that. She also has dewormed them several times before they left to go on with the new owners.

He eats maybe a couple of bites of the food he was raised on, drinks a bit and leaves the bowl. I leave the bowl down for about 30 minutes then just take it up since I won't be doing the free feeding until he is much older. I just thought he would be a big eater since he is such a good size and expected him to be pulling at my leg for his meals. No such thing.

He sleeps a lot as puppies do but is no way lethargic. When he is not sleeping he is romping around with his toys, in the snow, cuddling, nipping (yes it has started) and all around just acting like a puppy.

I figure I would give him a couple of more days. I believe he has made his transition very smoothly though as he sleeps through the night without whelping or whining since the second night. Very outgoing and active. So why no appetite? I guess the best thing is to send a stool sample to his vet just to rule out worms or get him treated if he does have it. Which I can not even imagine as our breeder is spot on clean is extremely particular with her puppies and giving them the best care.

Any ideas as to why he would not be eating? He is on Royal Canin Baby Maxi 30. I soak down his food with warm water and give him about 3/4 of a cup. I even tried not soaking it and he still has not finished an entire meal yet.

Cheers.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 12:19 PM

Re: My big boy is not eating..........

I don't have any answers. I just wanted to let you know someone read this and hopes your boy is doing better.

How old is Bacchus? Could he be teething?

Jake's Mom

Max (GSD) June 1997 to Sept 2006
Jake (GSD) Oct 2008
Keilan (GSD) May 2007
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

Why don't you ask your vet about him at your new puppy exam that you should be having any day now? You need to make sure he's healthy before trying to change anything in the food department.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 01:14 PM

Sorry, I don't have any answers, either, but I can tell you that Mitzi was *never* very food oriented. We started her on the puppy chow that she had been on prior to coming to live with us, and we tried a couple of other foods. I found that sometimes (most of the time) the only way I could get her to eat a meal was if she was crated with her dish.
She only got really excited about her meals when we tried Wysong foods, and unfortunately, that was at about the same time that we discovered a health issue that would not allow her to be able to continue with the Wysong.

Once she started showing symptoms of her EPI, she was trying to devour everything, but we needed food she could tolerate.
So, now she's on a mix of EVO low fat and raw beef heart and tongue and she's receptive to eating at mealtimes -- she really likes the 'meaty bits'. (;-D)

~ Lynda / Mitzi's Mom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

At the Bridge: Mitzi 9/30/04 - 5/22/09, always in our hearts
New Pup - Bailey, dob. 2/26/09
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ElaineWhy don't you ask your vet about him at your new puppy exam that you should be having any day now? You need to make sure he's healthy before trying to change anything in the food department.
I am not bringing him in until 12 weeks as he has all of his shots. As for changing foods I don't plan on doing that for several weeks until he has fully adjusted to his new home.

Low and behold he ate his entire lunch today so perhaps it's just a transition thing he is going through.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Jake's MomI don't have any answers. I just wanted to let you know someone read this and hopes your boy is doing better.

How old is Bacchus? Could he be teething?
That is nice of you. Thank you. He will be 9 wks. this Friday. He is too young to be teething yet as far as I know (doesn't teething start around 3 months?) so I don't think his loss of appetite is due to teething. Although what do I know I am not a vet. I feel a bit better though as he did eat lunch so that is a good thing and I left a sample at the vets and they will call me if there is anything negative. So we shall see.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Kodiak1
I am not bringing him in until 12 weeks as he has all of his shots. As for changing foods I don't plan on doing that for several weeks until he has fully adjusted to his new home.
He is only 8 weeks right now so you are talking about 4 weeks until he sees your vet? You may want to reconsider and get that first vet visit as soon as possible just to have your own vet give you an evaluation. Your breeder may not have done this but many recommend it and will consider any guarantees void if not done within within a very short window from pick-up. It's in the best interest of you and your new family member.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Kodiak1
Low and behold he ate his entire lunch today so perhaps it's just a transition thing he is going through.
Good for him!

Well good for him!

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 03:58 PM

I'm glad he ate his lunch meal. That should make you both feel better.

You're right, he's probably not teething at 8 weeks. Jake started at about 14 weeks. He's making up for lost time though -- 4 teeth already this week!

I do second the recommendation to take to the vet even though shots aren't due. We visit our vet every other week for weigh-ins. They don't charge us. While we're there someone always looks him over 'cause he's so darn cute!

It is a good opportunity to teach Bacchus that the vet's office is a good place to visit.

Jake's Mom

Max (GSD) June 1997 to Sept 2006
Jake (GSD) Oct 2008
Keilan (GSD) May 2007
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Master Member

If you want him to eat all the time try adding a little ground beef to his kibble. I use natural raw ground beef. Watch what happens!!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Crowned Member

I use garlic powder to make my pups kibble more interesting. When she was that young, though, we had to feed her in her crate because EVERYTHING was more interesting than eating so perhaps that might be an option to get him to actually focus on his food.

Good luck!

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page