Canidae question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Canidae question

I think we are going to put our new puppy on canidae when she comes home Sat. but I noticed they have all life stages food and have never not used puppy food. I guess this is fine?? Also, they now have a grain free food-would you go with it or just one of their regular foods? Thanks so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Canidae question

I wouldn't feed any of them except the ALS myself. They all have more calcium that a lot of folks are comfortable with. The ALS has the least calcium of any of the formulas.

I don't feed puppy food AT ALL. My current pup is now 10 months old and I have fed her Canidae ALS since she was 9 weeks old.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Crowned Member

Just a note, I would find out what the BREEDER is feeding and buy some of that to feed the pup for the first week or 2, then gradually change over to the new food. Changing the pup "cold turkey" when you bring it home is NOT a good idea.

Tracy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

She feeds wysong and I cant find it but I am going to ask for a small bag of it from the breeder.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Crowned Member

You might want to think twice about that food.They keep changing the ingredients and people have been having problems.There is a class action suit against Diamond foods that I guess makes the food.Also mix in what ever the breeder is feeding so it's tummy won't get upset with a drastic switch.I am feeding Fromm food and many here feed lots of other good quailty food as well.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: sumShe feeds wysong and I cant find it but I am going to ask for a small bag of it from the breeder.
I would ask NOW, that way if it isn't possible to get enough from the breeder, you can order it. (Some breeders send food home with a puppy but others don't.)

Tracy

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Food is such a hard think to figure out- so many different ideas about food and then if you find one you want to use you cant find it anywhere around you.. I emailed her about a hour ago so hopefully she will send some-they are really sweet people so I can not imagine it would be a problem.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Crowned Member

If you can't buy from her or if she is just too far away sometimes you can order it at a feed store.Just because it isn't on the shelf doesn't mean they can't special order.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

One quick question- Canidae doesnt say it is for nessarily for large breed -does that matter??
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Crowned Member

No.
I don't believe in kibble for different sized dogs either. (Other than a "small BITES" of a kibble but with that the only difference is the size of the food, not the ingredients.) (THe only Large Breed kibble I would bother with is Orijen LBP. But that is because the calcium level is more in line with what is recommended for a large breed puppy rather than being overly high like most grain free kibbles.))

Puppy food, large breed food, "lite" and senior food is NOT necessary. My 17yo dog ate the same thing as the puppy.

Tracy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page