Pup Eating Poo - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Pup Eating Poo

So our new GSD pup is eating his poo... Why?

Platinum Equestrian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 01:12 PM

Re: Pup Eating Poo

This is something some dogs do.

My puppy did this too. I used FORBID in his food for a few days & he stopped. Consult your local vet for FORBID.

Quantum Vom Haus Tyson (Call sign "Diego")
01-29-08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Crowned Member

He likes the taste of it? clean it up as soon as he does it and the problem solves itself. It's very common, search here for eating poop. There was another thread on it a few days ago.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Crowned Member

That's just what puppies do. What are you feeding your pup? Sometimes a diet change to higher quality food can make a difference. Other than that, take your pup out on leash so as soon as he's done pooping, you can immediately dash off with him and have a game to reward pooping outside, then scoop the poop up as soon as you have a moment. If your pup is never given the chance to eat poop, that behavior cannot become a habit. Always take him out on leash so you can direct him away from his poop!

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

We just got him and are switching him over slowly to his new food... we've had him on a leash to go out, but I let him off to play with the others... and that's when he did it. I got to him right away, but he really wanted to keep eating it. I was wondering why his breath smelled like poo... uggghhh! I'm reading the nutrition posts here on the site now.

Platinum Equestrian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page