pano diet - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

pano diet

A member was telling that this would be a great forum to ask questions about a diet for a gsd that has pano. So does anyone have any suggestions for food? My Maxx is 8 months old and found out yesterday he has pano. Help!!
thanks col2258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Crowned Member

Re: pano diet

I have had pups that have gotten Pano and I never changed their food. (I feed an All Life Stages food NOT "puppy food".)

What is Maxx eating now?

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Crowned Member

I fed Canidae All life stages to my D litter, the 2 I kept ended up with BAD pano. I put them on a raw diet, it resolved within a week and never came back. Did it make a difference? Don't know. I do know they had pano to where deramaxx wasn't working for 4 wks, and they didn't even want to walk. Xrays, forget seeing bone, it was all nice and dark from being filled with blood. I just found it ironic switching to a raw diet they improved that quickly without any other changes.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Crowned Member

I fed NutroNatural lg breed puppy ( and Onyx grew fast and got pano at 6 mos. I switched her to raw at that time after researching Pano, she had two more bouts till 11 mos. but they didn't last as long as the first one(3 weeks). I think diet plays a role, but genetics does too.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Banned

my dogs have gotten pano. when my dogs had pano i've never changed their food. i've never fed puppy food. the dog i have now had pano and he had it for 3 months. i didn't take my dog on long walks. i didn't allow him to run. i use to massage his legs and he liked it. i still massage his legs.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

thanks all of you...i am going to look into what we have availble here ...i think i will try the massage thing too...even i would like that with Maxx.. thanks doggiedad
colc
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Crowned Member

My almost 8 month old has bouts of pano. I haven't changed his food - he was on canidae als now he's on Fromm duck & sweet potato.

Are you limiting his exercise when he's having a problem? I have 3/4" foam floor covering my basement so the pup can play down there with out hurting himself. I don't walk him on concrete sidewalks either when it's acting up.

He's had bouts at 4/5 months and another bad one at 7 months which seems to have finally gone away. He was on serious rest last week becuase he got one of his big huge clodhopper hind feet stuck in his crate and was tripodding around.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

hi Jenn,, yes i am limiting his excercise...just walking..forn now. He loves the snow so i walk him in that.we have lots here at the moment and its deep. This is the first time i have heard off pano, poor animals. Do you take your pup to the vet everytime there is a bout or just know what to do?
colc
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Knighted Member

i might suggest a very comfortable bed w/ plenty of cushioning if he doesnt already have one.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: col2258hi Jenn,, yes i am limiting his excercise...just walking..forn now. He loves the snow so i walk him in that.we have lots here at the moment and its deep. This is the first time i have heard off pano, poor animals. Do you take your pup to the vet everytime there is a bout or just know what to do?
colc
There isn't much the vet can do. They can xray it and make sure that's what's going on but other than that, it's not something they can 'fix'. They say pano affects 1 in every 4 GSDs. Which sounds right, out of my 7, 2 of them have had it. The other dog it was so severe the lesions could be seen through his skin.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page