Science Diet Large Puppy Breed Food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
lac

Science Diet Large Puppy Breed Food

When we got Piper 3 weeks ago she was Science Diet Puppy food so we kept her on it not wanted to "rock the boat" so to speak. However, we also bought the SD-Large Breed Puppy Food thinking when she adjusted we would gradually switch her over. My husband opened the the bag to the SD-Large Breed Puppy last night and thought the nuggets were too big for her. She is 15wks now and 15 lbs. Any thoughts?

Also whats the benefit of giving the large breed vs the reg puppy food?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 07:34 PM

Re: Science Diet Large Puppy Breed Food

They're not too big. We've had puppies on SD large breed puppy food from the breeder and kept them on it for a few weeks (like you said to not rock the boat and change too many things all at once) and they always did fine.

Large breed puppy food is supposed to be better because it promotes slower growth. Many people never even bother with puppy food and go right to adult food.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JKlatsky
Large breed puppy food is supposed to be better because it promotes slower growth. Many people never even bother with puppy food and go right to adult food.
And many people would NEVER feed SD in any form.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Crowned Member

Science Diet is one food I would NEVER feed.

Ingredients of SD Large Breed Puppy:

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Liver Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Soybean Oil, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Fish Oil, Potassium Citrate, Iodized Salt, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Natural Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, L-Lysine, Calcium Carbonate, vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, minerals (Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Tryptophan, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

The only meat in there I see is "chicken by product meal." How about some "chicken meal" for good meats and bones? How about more meat than grain? After all, we're feeding a carnivore here, not a cow.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Crowned Member

We never had Rocky on puppy food. We did try many brands (never SD) before we found a food that worked well for him. He has food allergies so finding a forumla for him was a process.

When you are ready I would switch your pup to a different food. If I am not mistaken alot of GSD have allergies to corn, Gluten Corn Meal and Sorghum.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Crowned Member

If that's your pup in your avi, she's adorable.

Agreed, SD is kinda yucky and dry. Yes I've tasted it wondering why my picky female wouldn't eat it.

My pup has been on an all life stages food since before I got him. Some people say that an ALS slows down their growth - with shepherds you don't want them to grow too fast.

First Otto was on Canidae food, then his breeder wanted him on FROMM. He's been on it 2 months and I'm very pleased with Fromm 4 star duck and sweet potato. It's not terribly expensive, the picky older dog likes it and personally, I don't think it tastes bad at all, kinda like overcooked chinease food duck.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
lac

Thanks for all the great advice. I never had a pup and am very new at this. My last shep was my husbands before I met him. When i finally met her she was 3. I miss her terribly. And boy do i appreciate the old girl so much more now that we have a 'crazy' pup! LOL...

I personally never likes SD. Its smells horrible (do all dog foods smell this bad! LOL).... however, she has had so many other issues since we rescued her and got her home changing the food was not something i wanted to risk.

I do hope to get her off SD completely at some point. My last dog was on Purina One and she did great on it. Now too many recalls. Not going to chance it.
THanks again
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Crowned Member

LOL, no all dog food doesn't smell bad. Good rule to follow when picking the new food, if corn meal is the number one ingredient, your dog will end up looking corn fed (fat)

Here's a link to ratings for dog food.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

While some food maybe more expensive to buy the bag, you would feed less than the corn based foods so they end up costing the same.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Crowned Member

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

Another GREAT site for researching foods and ingredients.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Crowned Member

And another great site for researching foods:
http://www.dogaware.com/

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page