calcium level - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

calcium level

so i have reading about too high calcium and how it can be bad fro a growing pup, we finally found a food that he likes and his scratching has stopped 90%, i was also looking into how we can help improve the chances of his ears going up, and someone said that teething takes alot of calcium from them and you may need to suppliment, so I checked my food and it has 2.2% calcium, is that too much? BTW he's on California Natural lamb and rice puppy food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Crowned Member

Re: calcium level

Don't worry about calcium in kibble so long as the kibble is either designed for puppies or designed for all life stages. The problem is when people think it's a good idea to add extra sources of calcium on top of what's already being fed without regard for the balances required for proper calcium intake. Cali Natural is a good food, I would stick to that, but many people feel it's better to feed an adult food rather than a puppy food, I'll let other people chime in on that one.

The reason why many people recommend not feeding a puppy food is that pup food can contribute to faster growth whereas adult food yields slower, more even growth.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

thanks Diana, do you think it would be bad to suppliment more calcium with yogurt or cottage cheese? I've also read that vitamin E helped someone with their pups ears but i don't know how much to give
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Crowned Member

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable feeding that to a large or giant breed puppy becaue of the high calcuim content. (But to each their own.)

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Crowned Member

Tracy, I agree, if I had to feed kibble I'd feed an adult kibble that's not really high in protein but thankfully I do raw.

Quote:
Quote:do you think it would be bad to suppliment more calcium with yogurt or cottage cheese?
That's exactly what I was talking about; it gets really bad when people have foods already loaded with calcium and then try to supplement on top of all that. Let your pup chew plenty of good chew toys and raw bones to strengthen the muscles instead.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

he does chew a lot, and he's on the california natural cuz everything else made him itch..... breeder had him on iams, we switched to nutro LPB (which we used in the past with other GSD), tried Orijen(he didn't eat it) so that's where we are as far as food goes...any other suggestions for food??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page