jacks food new thread - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

jacks food new thread

thought I would do a new thread

He pooped yesterday at noon some hard and the next 2 piles were a little better then pudding

he ate
2.5 cups meal INNOVA large breed puppy
1 can dog food evo chicken
I hate to give this but 2 beggin strips.... this had the forbidden ingredients corn etc

I do not think thats a lot of food

he is now 57 instead of 60 he has lost weight in kennel....

He then did not poop until 12 today even though he ate 2x.....
It was really formed the first piece and then he walked 15 feet squated and then 2 small piles of looser but not quite pudding formed until last and then loose

He he just holding it too long?

He is really hungry
He ate this morning
1/4 cup evo chicken
1 cup meal

tonight 1.5 cups meal
1/4 can evo
1/4 cup pumpkin which he loved he even ate it off of the spoon LOL
he cleaned his bowl 2x today licking it until it looked as if I did not need to wash LOL HAHAHAH

No treats....
Is this enough food?
do you think he is holding things up and then getting loose at the end......

I will see how the pumpkin works
and how long can that keep in refrigerator?
it looks like t might last 3 days for feedings

I hate to be a pest I just want him to be ok and do all the right things at least what I can control

KATHY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Master Member

Re: jacks food new thread

Just my 2 cents, I have never had luck with any of the Natura products, similar symptoms to what you are describing particularly with the EVO products, pudding poops unwanted weight loss, I would cut back on the food thinking I was over feeding and the dogs would be starving and losing weight, they simply just never worked real well for my dogs.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

i think it is the INNOVA and the evo
Tomorrow I have to find a better food that agrees with him
I would love grain free but he is only 7 months too much protein
what you think of pinnacle
Orijen I have to order
any thoughts?

KATHY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Crowned Member

There are very few cases where a dog holds their poop too long.

Firm stools at the beginning and soft at the end usually means the food is too rich or you are feeding too much or too much at once. You can overfeed dogss and some will actually lose weight. Their systems work so hard to digest a quanity of food and it doesn't have time to absorb the nutrients from the food.

I wouldn't jump to a new food just yet.

With my picky gal if I do canned with her kibble she will go soft from too much canned food.

My dogs eat a 5 pm and don't poop until any where depending on the dog from 7 - 9 am, they eat at 7 am and won't poop until 4 - 5 pm.

I would try 3 feedings a day.

I didn't internet search the food, but is the "Fat Content"?

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 06:44 PM

I didn't read your other thread but wanted to say that Innova caused my pup, who is the same age as yours to have the same type of poop issues you are describing.

A little back ground; He was tested for Pancreatic Insuffciency, (please excuse my spelling ) of which his was a 6, bottom end is 5! He was also itchy, lost most of his coat and was definitely not thriving. He was sooo thin and his poop was never solid since day one with him. We got him at seven weeks.

I tried so many foods, and different things. He is now thriving, great poops, his coat is soft and stunning (he is a long coat). The turn around happened about 2 months ago. The vet put him on Metro for Girardia, just in case, no differemce. He was repeatedly wormed. Developed Yeast infection of the skin. Egads what a nightmare.

This is what finally worked for him. Left the Vet out of the equation, good food recommended was Eukanuba and more drugs.
He eats a mixture of either Taste of the Wild Pacific Blend and Wellness Venison and Rice. 3/4 Wellness and 1/4 TOTW. and as of late Orijen LB Puppy mixed with 1/4 Wellness. Both combo's work great. To these I add Natural Organic Yogurt or Probiotics. I Tbls. of Dr. Foster and Smith Premium Coat Conditioner 1x per day. He is fed twice per day. That is the PM feeding and in the Am I add some Evangers canned premium chicken to the dry and not the above. Also give him Spring Water as I did some reading on the minerals lacking in water supplies. He is now the picture of health! The only thing that remains is he is occasionally itchy, not bad no hair loss. This I attribute to laundry soap. I forget sometimes to wash his blankets in one of the allergy free nothing added detergents and fabric softner.

Hope some of this helps. Will go and look at your other post later also. Wishing the best in your trial and error it can be a pita. I have to order the Orijen also, no one carries it here.

Lisa

-Lisa
Tytan LC GSD 2/22/09
Tucker Gldn Retr 12/24/07
KayLee Gldn Retr 5/17/04
Felines 1-18 yrs

Küryakyn LC GSD 6/09/08-3/17/09 Missing you...
I'd give anything for 'Just One More Day With You'
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:Firm stools at the beginning and soft at the end usually means the food is too rich or you are feeding too much or too much at once.
It could also be Giardia. We have that problem now and then but when it's bad, Renji gets metronidazole.

Quote:
Quote:
He pooped yesterday at noon some hard and the next 2 piles were a little better then pudding
That's consistent with Renji's giardia flares. I know it's not his food because he can have HUGE meals and poop perfectly fine for days or have a small meal and poop this stuff. We usually see the G-poop during times of stress. When we had to use metronidazole, it cleared up immediately. I don't know if it was in your previous posts, but have you had the Giardia antigen test run? That's the only giardia test that will tell you one way or another- just regular fecals often give false negatives.

Quote:
Quote:I would love grain free but he is only 7 months too much protein
There are some grain-free kibbles that do not have stupidly high levels of protein. I'm not sure why grain-free kibbles tend to be so high in protein. Not even the raw diet is that high (sounds odd, but it is what it is, and no I'm not bugging you about it! ) Val (Wisc Tiger) posted about a kibble that looked really good, it was not grain-free but it was pretty low on grains.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...=920960&page=1
That's it! If I were feeding kibble, I'd have this as an option.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Jack is on flagyl now
for the hersey squirts a few days ago

I am going to get a full blood pan el done including the antigen for giarda to be sure

The vet reccommended Pinacle oat one becasue oif the fiber but on anoter site that someone sent it says oats are bad

I did cut him back on the wet food lets see if that is it

I just feel he is not getting too much
total for day 1/2 can wet
2.5 meal

before it was 1 can wet and 2.5 meal

well I am going to see how the pumpkin works for a few days
the vetc choice I have to order no store within 250 miles LOL HAHAHAH

you all are so helpful and I really appreaciate all the advice it really helps

KATHY
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Crowned Member

Good luck at the vet. Flagyl = metronidazole, but another board member (Barb E, I believe) had to run a couple courses of meds to finally kick G. The sad part is, once a dog has G, it has it for life, so I hope it's not that!

http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1459&aid=1473
The use of Metamucil (psyllium seed husk) in dogs and cats.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Crowned Member

I hope you are able to get Jack figured out.

I know of a LOT of youngsters that have had the EXACT same issues that Jack is having (both with the poops and either weight loss, or they continued growing and ended up thin because they didn't gain weight.) on the Innova LBP and once they got off of that kibble, their problems were solved.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 09:10 PM

Aw, I hope you find the right food for Jack soon!

A pumpkin tip: what I do is, when I open a can, I put spoonfuls of the pumpkin onto a cookie sheet or large-ish dish lined with freezer paper, and then freeze them. I can then put the frozen portions of pumpkin into a ziplock baggie in my freezer and keep them as long as I need them so I don't waste the pumpkin, and I always have some on hand if I need it. It only takes 10-ish seconds to defrost each pumpkin spoonful in the microwave and add it to his food.

MH & Charlie the GSD (he just turned 1!)

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

- Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page