How much water for a pup? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

How much water for a pup?

Hi all!

One thing Im not sure about is how much water to give our pup, the past few days I feel like Ive given him too much which has led to more accidents in the house. Should I just give him access to water when he is fed or after exercise?

Of course at 9 weeks he already know where the sink is and will sit in front of it crying when he wants water

Thanks as always everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Crowned Member

Re: How much water for a pup?

I NEVER limit water for any of my dogs. They have water available at all times. (Though puppies don't have water when they are sleeping.)

Some folks limit water to try and help with housebreaking, I never have and I have NEVER had any trouble housebreaking a puppy. My current pup is now 9 months old. I got her at 8 weeks, she had water at all times and she was reliably going to the door to go outside BEFORE 10 weeks of age and NEVER had an accident in the house.

As long as the puppy doesn't have an issue with his urinary tract (like an infection.) more accidents just means YOU need to pay closer attention to him.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I'M not blaming the puppy. 3-4 times in one hour concerned me and the first thing I thought of was too much water...Im also thinking of making a vet appointment to check for a UTI given what Ive read here on the forum.

Just trying to learn.

Very good job with what you have done with your pups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Banned

i got my puppy at 9 weeks old. his bowl was filled all of the time. i would take hs water bowl away around 6pm or 7 pm. our bedtime is between 10pm and midnight. he goes to his crate and i go to bed.

at 9 weeks ol i took my puppy out every 15 minutes to a 1/2 hour. over night i took him out every 2 hours. i don't think the every 2 hours over night is neccessary.

take your puppy out alot. always after play and feeding. when y boy was 9 weeks i would feed him and take him out 15 minutes later. as time passes you'll learn his signs for wntig to go out.

my puppy was house broken within 11 days. in that time there was 10 accidents in the house. that was 10 accidents with 2 of us watching him. i dont know if that was good or bad but that's how long it took us house break him. he was fine with his crate over night after 3 nights.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: KC_PikeThanks for the reply, I'M not blaming the puppy. 3-4 times in one hour concerned me and the first thing I thought of was too much water...Im also thinking of making a vet appointment to check for a UTI given what Ive read here on the forum.

<span style="color: #FF0000">You're welcome. Yeah, 3 or 4 times in an hour IS extreme. Sure wouldn't hurt to get him checked out.</span>

Just trying to learn.

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Oh, I know that and it is WONDERFUL. I hope I didn't come across as "snappy" or "nasty" as that was definately NOT my intention</span>

Very good job with what you have done with your pups.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Thanks</span>

Tracy

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Crowned Member

As far as the overnight thing goes if they are crated, a lot of pups will let you know when they need to go out. (As long as they aren't the type that will just go in the crate.) My pup woke up once or twice a night to go outside for a while. But I didn't make a point of waking up on my own, SHE woke me up.

Some pups don't do that so it might be necessary to set an alarm to get up and take them out.

It also seems like some pups just can't hold it as long as others even if they are the same age.

Tracy

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Master Member

My pups usually will drink water until their belly swells, play in the water, dump the water, swim in the water..so yeah, I limit it in that I don't have free access to it. But I do offer it quite often. This also helps me know I am not crating them with a belly full of water when I have to go do something and will not be around to let them out for some time.

Kandi
Rokanhaus German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canaan CT
"Some Dogs come with a Pedigree, Others Come with a Legacy"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Tracy

Yeah, he is great overnight...wakes us up about 2 times to go out. Just seems the past 2-3 days the frequency of urination has taken off during the day. Ill see how today goes and go from there.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks too Kandi! Seems like too much water isnt the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page