can you feed once a day - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

can you feed once a day

Jack has been a really bad eater since we got him

I have found that if I give him a few snacks in the am and feed the whole amount of food at 3:30 he eats it all and then a few snacks before bed

so that is 2 cups innova and 1 can of evo vennison I just do not know is that really enough food for a 7 month old that is 60 lbs?

and is it bad to feed that much at one time

If I feed 2 x a day I throw so much away even if I do 1 c meal and a little wet

The wet evo 1.65 a can and Innova isn't cheap either LOL

What are your suggestions?

He is not overweight at all backbone prominent and he has the hour glass matter of fact maybe a little thin but would rather see him thin now and then fill out later

KATHY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Crowned Member

Re: can you feed once a day

He may just be going thru an NON growing spurt! I would still feed twice a day, to avoid bloat or gastro problems. What does he get for snacks?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 06:37 PM

Not sure how long you've had him but when I first got Chewy he was eating so little that I left the food out all day for him and just kept track of how much he got each day. After about a week he got onto a regular eating pattern.

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Knighted Member

Jesse is now fed 2 -3 times a day via ball method, he was never a very interested in eating (especially in the morning) till we moved all his food dispensing from a bowl to a Tricky Treats Ball and now he eats all his daily quota and is dying for more. Now I am in the middle of training him to bring his "food ball" to be filled up. Loves his meals now and wants more...

This is what we use:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751743

Lauralie
Jesse male GSD (Born November 6, 2007) and 3 cats

- Jesse's photos from 8 weeks to present and videos too

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Powell

Jolene, my GSD / Sheltie cross eats once a day. Every now and then she will eat the kibble I put out in the AM, but she does drink her water. She eats in the middle of the night while I am asleep.

Powell
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 07:19 PM

Another method to get your dog eat at his meal on time is get into the practice of leaving the food out for 15 to 20minutes. After that, take the food away till the next meal time. After a few days your dog will learn if he doesn't eat it then, he will have to wait till the next one to come around. Once your dog learn that on his own, he will go clean the food bowl out everytime you put the food down.

For this to work, you gotta be firm with it and not give the food back to your dog when he begs because once you do that, your dog will know even he doesnt eat within the time frame, all he need to do is beg for it later on. believe me, be firm with this for a few days and you will never have the problem of your dog not wanting to eat or be picky with what he eats. Just remember, your dog will not starve till death if he miss a meal or two. So it is better to teach good habits now and have your dog's meal time go according to your schedule, rather than you having to baby your dog around each meal time.

when I first got maximus he gone through the picky eating stage. What I did was give him the food first thing in the morning and then I go get ready for work, let him out to do his business and I take the food back (whether there is food left or not) when I leave the house. I feed him again when I get home from work and again, 15 minutes later, I take the food bowl back. After about a 4 or 5 days, Max learned those are his meal time and if he doesnt eat it then he will have to wait. Now I don't even need to worry about my boy not eating and he licks the bowl clean.

And yea, feed twices a day this will allow your dog to digest the food in small portions instead of one big portions.

Lab mix with Blue Heeler - Frankie - December 12, 1994 to November 8, 2002. R.I.P
Yorkshire Terrier - Bailie - 2 years
GSD - Maximus - 7 months
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Crowned Member

Some dogs just will NOT eat more than once a day. My 10yo female will NOT eat in the morning, she hasn't for YEARS. However as I said, she is 10yo so she also doesn't require much food per day(She only eats/needs about 2 cups a day.). If she was a dog that needed several cups of food a day to maintain weight, I would try different methods of trying to get her to eat at least twice a day so she wasn't eating a bunch of food at once.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

thanks all
some really good suggestions
I do not leave it down longer then 20 minutes because of the wet in it,,, and maybe he really is like tracy's dog and only really wants once a day..... but as an adult not so bad but now I really am going to try to so the 2x.... but like today he really ate it all and was happy... maybe in the am a sweet potato or solid gold buckaroo patties a little high in protein but maybe just a small piece and a sweet potato his treats are cheese, green beans, one beggin strip. sometimes a bit of cottage cheese... and for a real treat a tiny bit of PB now that isnt all day or all the time that is the kind he gets we vary it gets varried he does not get a lot because he would eat less

KATHY
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Count Bruno
If I feed 2 x a day I throw so much away even if I do 1 c meal and a little wet

The wet evo 1.65 a can and Innova isn't cheap either LOL

What are your suggestions?
Instead of feeding once a day, keep to your schedule of twice a day and just continue cut back on the amount of food you are putting down. As previously suggested, leave it down for 15 to 20 minutes. This is one of those trial and error situations where you just need to find the balance. And you may end up going in the other direction and start adding back portions of what you previously cut out.

Is there any treating going on during the day? How much? Are you using his kibble to treat during the day/training sessions? If not you may want to consider using the kibble as part of his treating during training.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

well this morning he woke me up howling and barking ran to his kennel thought he was hurt and he was ok ran him out and he has the hersey squirts really bad..... came in he went right back to door and out we went a little more

gave some water made the rice for later and gave a little kaopectate made an appointment with vet at 11 today....

I put him in kennel to make him rest if he is out he will stress himself and want to go out so will take him out every 20 minutes.

KATHY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page