Growing too Quick - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Growing too Quick

Hi Everyone
I took Max to the vet today to get his Vac's and Deworming - he will be 15 weeks next week Tuesday.

4 Weeks ago when I did his last vac's he weighed in at 9.6kg's (14.66 Pounds) today he weighed in at 16.25kg's (35.82 Pounds)!! he does not look fat at all and he is not skinny - I was actually happy with how he is looking.

Max walks funny off his back legs - sort of rabbit hops to get going and back legs some twist are are loose..... the vet said that he is too young to xray (obviously) - but also said that he thinks he is growing to fast and that I must put him on a diet - ie: less food each meal.

At the moment I am feeding him Mera - and it is supposed to be the "best" food in the world........ He gets 150 grams 3 times a day. I also give him a little bit of cooked chicken - just a few pieces with each meal - something nice..... The vet said that I should reduce the food to 100 grams 3 times a day for about 3 days - 1 week and see if there is an improvement in the back legs.... he thinks he is too heavy for his bones - he is big boned....

Does this sound like right advice. Max is always hungry......... what I am current feeding him does not seem enough let alone reducing it now........ but I do not want him to get Pano or worse HD.

Appreciate any advice!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Elite Member

Re: Growing too Quick

Never heard of Mera, do they have a website? Or the nutritional analysis?

I have found that wherever I go, the stupidest drivers in the world have followed me there!

Mom to:
Dallas 01/15/05
Dakota 10/26/08 - CGC, RN
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Elite Member

Ok, I found the info.

Ingredients

Maize; poultry meat meal; rice; barley; animal fat; dried sugar beet pulp; greaves meal; linseed; maize gluten; brewer's yeast; dried egg; hydrolyzed animal protein; salmon oil; sodium chloride; sunflower oil; monocalcium phosphate; calcium carbo

Here is the Link to the website.

I do not think I would feed this food, if I am right, corn is the first ingredient.

I have found that wherever I go, the stupidest drivers in the world have followed me there!

Mom to:
Dallas 01/15/05
Dakota 10/26/08 - CGC, RN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Knighted Member

here is the chart many of us have looked at. it is just a general guideline, as they will all grow at different rates. there will be lulls in their growth and spurts as well. he is about 3.5 months, so going by the chart, he is the general range, weight wise, of what one could expect.

BUT, those are just numbers. far more important that you keep him lean, ribs easily felt, but not seen except maybe the last rib, nice tuck in his belly. rarely do vets get on people about a dog's weight, so if your vet is advising weight loss, it may be a good idea. can you post any pictures of your pup?

http://www.nwk9.com/weight_height.htm

as far as the legs, the bunny hopping could be a concern. its too early so say, imo, since puppies can take a while before they move competently and get all their movements coordinated. definitely something to keep an eye on.

regarding mera dog food: which one are you feeding?

here are the ingredients of one of their puppy formulas. maybe a food based more on a specific meat protein would assist in keeping the dog lean. to be honest, looking at the different offerings from Mera, i think there are many better choices for dog food. however, i dont know what might be available to you. (for example, something like innova large breed puppy or something from wellness or canidae would be superior to Mera)

Ingredients
Maize; poultry meat meal; rice; barley; animal fat; dried sugar beet pulp; greaves meal; linseed; maize gluten; brewer's yeast; dried egg; hydrolyzed animal protein; salmon oil; sodium chloride; sunflower oil; monocalcium phosphate; calcium carbo

Analysis

Crude protein 25,2%, Crude fat 18%

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

http://en.meradog.de/preview/dbcTrad...db5&configNo=2
I am feeding the Mera Junior - the one we get in South Africa does not say 1 or 2 - just Junior. It was recommended to me by the Breeder I got Max from. i wanted to change his food over to Royal Canin German Shepherd 30 - which is the same food I have fed my other GSD's on and she told me NOT to feed Royal Canin and to rather feed Mera as it was the best food in the world and we are lucky that it is now imported into South Africa.......

I will try and post a picture of Max - personally I do not think that he is too thin. At lunch today I gave him only 105 grams and tonight I gave him 100 grams - and the poor dog is starving....so I called the vet and he told me to give him grated carrots....to fill him up. He also said that I will not have to do this for too long maybe 2 weeks to one month???
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Crowned Member

It could also be the "type" (bloodlines) of GSD he is that is the reason for the "loose" back legs.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Crowned Member

The fact that the breeder thinks Mera is the "best food in the world" is their OPINION. It is NOT fact.

Can you feel his ribs EASILY when he is standing up? And does he have a "waist" when viewed from above?

Tracy

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Uhm - how do I post a picture?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Crowned Member

Instructions on how to post pics. Click here.

Tracy

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Knighted Member

i would love for that breeder to explain why a growing gsd pup should eat more corn than meat.

imo, for the price i think there are better options than royal canin as well. it is definitely a step up from the mera. here are the ingredients for Royal Canin large breed puppy 32. (at least the first ingredient is an animal source in meal form--still, expensive for what i'd consider a middle of the road food.)

Ingredients: Chicken meal, brown rice, brewers rice, corn gluten, chicken fat, beet pulp, chicken, natural flavors, brewers yeast, sodium silico aluminate, fish oil, dried eggs, monosodium phosphate, potassium chloride, choline chloride, fructo-oligosaccharides, salt, brewers yeast extract, DL-methionine, dried kelp, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, chondroitin sulfate, zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, iron sulfate, manganous oxide, rosemary extract, d-calcium pantothenate, manganese proteinate, ascorbic acid supplement, niacin supplement, copper sulfate, vitamin A supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, copper proteinate, garlic, ginger, calcium iodate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, folic acid, sodium selenite, vitamin B12 supplement.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page