home cooked meals? bad? good? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

home cooked meals? bad? good?

Jeager is 6 months and 3 weeks now,,,he is about 85 LBS. I tried feeding Jeager dry dog food ( Purina pro one ) when he was just a wee pup,,,he turned his nose up at it , So I started cooking his meals in our slow cooker,,,boneless/skinless chicken breasts,,,boneless pork chops,,,steak,,,beans,,,spuds,,,carrots and some long grain rice added in the mix,,,Jeager loves it. Have I been a bad dad by feeding him this stew? I also add one raw egg in his bowl once a week ( sunday morning ) . Jeager is not fat,,,but big boned,,he is a happy monster ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 07:13 PM

Re: home cooked meals? bad? good?

I would say it is better than most kibble.but I would do some reading and maybe think about some supplements.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 07:21 PM

Where is the calcium in this diet? I would be very concerned about the calcium/phosphorus ratio in this diet since all of the meats are boneless. Obviously, you don't want to cook bones and then feed them to your dog, but raw meaty bones are great to give to your dogs.

If you don't want to go into that I suggest you supplement his diet with a higher quality kibble like Blue Buffalo Wilderness, or Orijen. He needs more in his diet.

Good luck and let me know if I can help more!

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 09:40 PM

Yikes! You need to be adding a calcium source to his diet!!

Here is some more info:

http://dogaware.com/wdjhomemade3.html

There is also info about raw diets on the same site.

PS - I'd turn my nose up at Purina One too...much better kibbles out there.

Good Luck!!!

Melissa & the Girls
*Grace, 7 yo GSD*
*Kira, 3 yo GSD*
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Crowned Member

Home cooking is great. An easy source of calcium is ground up eggshell powder. You can save your eggshells, wash them out, bake them for 15 minutes at 325 degrees and then grind them up to a very fine powder in a blender. If you tell me the total amount you're cooking I can figure out how much eggshell powder to add.

I also use organic veggies in my dogs' food. Sweet potatoes, kale and carrots are pretty much staples in Rafi's diet. I also use squash in the winter.

And you're using long grain brown rice, I assume? It's much more nutritional than white rice. You can vary the grains as well: millet, oats, quinoa are all grains that I use.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Hello BowWowMeow....I add 2 cans of carrots,,,2 cans of beans...1 can of spuds...at the most 1 pound of chicken,,,chops and steak,,,our slow cooker isn't that larger so I make up 3-4 batches a week. Yes , I do use brown rice. I will cook the egg shells and start adding them in aswell. Thanks for the info.
My wife had a local artist display her drawings a few weeks ago in her store. I had mentioned to my wife I would love to have a pic of Jeager done, well , my wife had one done,,,turned out very nice. All you need is a photo for the artist to copy,,,I will take a pic of to drawing and post it on this website,,,this young lady is amazing with a pencil...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

forfgot to mention,,,,,the boys also get raw meat bones to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page