Pack books? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to firefightrsflame
Pack books?

What are your recommendations for reading about learning proper pack establishment, being a pack leader, etc?

Thanks,
Terra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Pack books?

I like Jan Fennell's "The Dog Listener" and I also like "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson. The former is a great nonconfrontational approach to being a respected and trusted leader and the latter is great for the nitty gritty of dog behavior and why it's not about who's bigger and badder and bossier. It's a great insight into why dogs do what they do.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

thank you!! I am currently reading "Bones would rain from the sky" and loving it. I think my next book i want is to understand a bit more about pack and learning to have my own pack.

I have a husband who, in all honestly, will probably come to love and ga ga over my dog, but is not really a "dog" person. So I need to find out how the pack works when some of the alpha's aren't so "alpha" lol!

Thanks,
Terra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Crowned Member

I deal with family members who are like that. Raised their kids darn near perfectly except for the four-legged "kid" with a tail! It's really just basic stuff. Ask yourself if you'd let your kid get away with any of the following: shoving you away so he could blast out the door? Begging and pestering and screaming for food or treats? Hitting you? Decide who gets to come into the house and who doesn't? Decide when it's time to go out or play every single time and throw a tantrum when it doesn't happen? You probably wouldn't let your kid get away with any of that nonsense and you'd teach him what is expected. It's the same idea with dogs.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DianaM Ask yourself if you'd let your kid get away with any of the following: shoving you away so he could blast out the door? Begging and pestering and screaming for food or treats? Hitting you? Decide who gets to come into the house and who doesn't? Decide when it's time to go out or play every single time and throw a tantrum when it doesn't happen?
Sadly I have (almost) family members who did allow all of that. The result is a son with a Nazi svastic on his bedroom who ended up being kicked off of the Army. Years later this guy is a lot more nice young man, but because life had been hard on him. Shame on the parents.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Master Member

I was just going to suggest Bones but I see you are reading it already. Its not a "pack book" but does have alot of examples of how to be a leader.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

yes this book is wonderful reading. i've been reading 2 chapters every night and it's a positive way to think and feel before heading to bed!

Thanks,
Terra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page