A Good Dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

A Good Dog

by Jon Katz

has anyone read this?
if so, care to share your thoughts?

But the jar he was making did not turn out as he had hoped, so he crushed it into a lump of clay again and started over. ~ Jer. 18:4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to wrenny
Re: A Good Dog

Don''t think your link worked?

Lex, 10 years old RIP
Lincoln 4 months old.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Banned

Is this the book that ended with Mr. Katz eventually killing the dog. I gave his books a few reads and was trying to find this one, but if I can correct he had an absolutely great and healthy dog euthanized. I suspect I threw the book in the trash.

For a more positive messge, give Merle's Door a read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

the book is about his border collie, orson. yes, he euth'd him because he continually attacked people.

But the jar he was making did not turn out as he had hoped, so he crushed it into a lump of clay again and started over. ~ Jer. 18:4

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Crowned Member

I read it.

Here is a link to his web sight also
http://www.bedlamfarm.com/

They interviewed him on the Early show not long ago, and he talked a lot about Orson.
He has a beautiful farm.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

i have no doubt the man loved this dog dearly. he felt it was the most responsible of his choices.
would i do the same thing? i don't know. maybe i'm too selfish? what a heart wrenching decission.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Crowned Member

I am sure he loved his dog very much. I don't think anyone could really say they would or wouldn't do what he did under those circumstances without actually living it.

We can only get the feel of what happened by what he wrote, and by his interviews. Without being there and going through the same experiences as he did with Orson, we can't possibly get the whole story. We can only know what he cared to share.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

a co-worker gave me the book for Christmas. she told me he dies at the end. i didn't give it much thought at the time. but, knowing how fond i am of animals, particularly dogs, why did she give me this book? really makes me wonder. does she think dylan should have the same fate?

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Crowned Member

AW, she probably just wasn't thinking. People like that just find it easy to give a book about dogs to any dog lover, no matter how the story ends.

I read it in one day. I love reading, but hardly have the time. So when I do pick up a book, I take one day and read it, until I am finished.
I always end up crying. Of course I knew how it ended before reading it, since I had watched his interview before I picked up the book.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Crowned Member

I have read most of his books. And yes it is horribly sad, but I thought it was wonderful. He was able to convey his vast love for his dog, but he also showed great strength when it was time to make a difficult decision.

I don't know if I would have done the same, but I would hope that if my dog was biting people unprovoked I would have the guts to do something.

Proud Owner to

Stella 5 year old GSD/Collie
Echo 4.5 year old GSD/Rottie
Cyrus 4 year old GSD
Quinn 2 year old Yellow head parrot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page