3 protection breeds tested, German Shepherd wins! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

3 protection breeds tested, German Shepherd wins!

Video of 3 guard dogs being put to the test by a guy wearing a bite suit pretending to be a thief; a Cane Corso, a Belgian Malinois, and a German shepherd. The Cane Corso barks but then runs from the intruder once he is in the house, the Belgian Malinois who "was trained for protection" still hesitates and then only attacks once the owner has to make him, but the German Shepherd who was NOT protection trained attacks the guy once he gets about 10 feet in the house and stays on him till he retreats out the door, that is true, natural protection! The GSD owner said she was upset he let him get that far in the house, but i think that was the German shepherds intelligence... he was analayzing to see the guys intentions.. important because it could have been a fireman or rescue worker, but once he saw bad intentions, he made a move! German shepherds are by far the most superior guard dog, period!

Datura likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Knighted Member

Interesting. I thought the mal done great. I expect my dogs to look to me when someone comes over. If I say they're OK then I expect t all barking to stop. He done what I would expect my dogs to do. The cane could have been weak nerves or just not have any protection drive. The German Shepherd did eventually bite the guy but it didn't look like he was out to kill.
I would have liked to have seen the intruder wearing a hidden sleeve or suit. So he looked like an average criminal not a trainer in a bite suit.
I feel this test could have been done with three of the same of any breed. Three GSD's, three cane's, three dobe's. Etc... And you could have gotten the same results.
Datura likes this.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Crowned Member

I have to agree with CDWoodcox the shepherd didn't look that scary. And did he not bite him until he started to retreat? Idk

I watched it again, wish he hadnt gone out of the frame when the GSD bit him, I don't know if he started backing up once the dog bit or before. Not bad for an untrained dog I guess.

No dog I have ever owned cared about my house if I wasn't in it. Which is fine. I wouldnt want ky dogs to risk themselves protecting stuff.
Muskeg likes this.

Last edited by Thecowboysgirl; 01-07-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Crowned Member

this video is such BS. You can't compare any of these three dogs and come up apples to apples.

Has anyone ever seen a Cane Corso do protection training? Literally, if there is no physical threat, they are not going to attack. And there was no threat. He's a pup, immature.

the Mal did exactly what he was supposed to. Did not go until directed to.

The GSD is a rescue, looks like ASL or backyard, so most likely doesn't hve the proper genetics. And the GSD went at the guys back while he was leaving which implies fear and insecurity.

So good job to the owners for expecting untrained dogs to react aggressively to a simple stranger in the house who comes in baby talking the dog and offers no real physical threat.

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:23 PM

I think all three failed. I would not count on any of those dogs to protect me or my home.

Just goes to show that a dog of any breed without the right genetics, temperament, confidence and training is not going to do a good job protecting anything. I guarantee that I could walk into any of those houses with out any equipment and lock everyone of those dogs in a closet or a bathroom.

I didn't see one impressive dog, I am a little shocked by the Cane Corso I expected more. The bites from the GSD and Malinois were weak and the dogs were confused and ineffective.

But, a dog that barks is generally a good enough deterrent to cause a burglar to choose your neighbor's home over yours.
Emoore, Jax08, Cschmidt88 and 3 others like this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Knighted Member

They said the Mal was in the beginning of protection training. I would have declined to take part in this experiment with a dog just starting in protection. The owner and dog both looked confused.
BrodyRoo likes this.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post

But, a dog that barks is generally a good enough deterrent to cause a burglar to choose your neighbor's home over yours.
This. I have 2 big barking dogs. If someone walks into the property with big barking dogs, they are already prepared to deal with a big biting dog, most likely with a gun.
Jax08 and gsdluvr like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Elite Member

These videos are always interesting. Because even protection trained dogs, titled in sport or possibly even working K9s, I'm betting might get confused by a confident, dog-savvy decoy coming in the house and not acting like a decoy/suspect should. Might do a bark and hold or make a new friend, I don't know.

That said, all three dogs tested are weak dogs and I don't think any amount of training could make them otherwise.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Crowned Member

I think the Cane Corso was too young for this test.

They said the Mal was very social so it was not surprising that just anybody can walk into his house. Being overly social seems to be a problem with herding breeds these days.

The German Shepherd was from a rescue, most likely neutered, but for looking like some type show line mix and being fixed, not really all that bad of a performance with all things considered.

Insofar as a threat, it is almost always the passive person who is a threat IME. The loud and agitated person is usually a harmless drunk or a physically / mentally incapacitated person. I am not sure why anybody would view a stranger entering one's home uninvited as a non threat.
Jenny720 likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:52 PM
Knighted Member

I would wager that a lot of the dogs who excel in bite work with a decoy wouldn't be a man biter. Unless specifically trained to do so. The sleeve seems to be no different than a rope or tug toy that my dogs will violently attack during play.
My dogs sound like they want to eat whoever comes to my door. But in reality they would probably jump up and fight for affection.
Muskeg and Jenny720 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page