2017 Monthly Book Discussion ~ Interest? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

2017 Monthly Book Discussion ~ Interest?

Tis the season of cold, snow, ice, shovels.... and books. At least, for some of us northern types.

Would anyone be interested in having a monthly discussion of a pre-selected book? The first book could be selected for January reading, and a new thread would be opened the first week of February to discuss, repeat, repeat. With Kindle, Audible and Thriftbooks.com it's super cheap and easy to get ahold of just about any book in the world.

The subject matter would, of course, be related in some way to GSDs, working dogs, dog politics, dog culture, fictional books dogs, training methods, etc.

It might give us some interesting content to discuss.... Please respond if you're interested, if there are a handful of people I'll build a poll to choose the first title.

Cheers!
Jax08, ksotto333 and CatChandler like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 02:01 PM
Crowned Member

yes, good idea.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 02:05 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
Tis the season of cold, snow, ice, shovels.... and books. At least, for some of us northern types.

Would anyone be interested in having a monthly discussion of a pre-selected book? The first book could be selected for January reading, and a new thread would be opened the first week of February to discuss, repeat, repeat. With Kindle, Audible and Thriftbooks.com it's super cheap and easy to get ahold of just about any book in the world.

The subject matter would, of course, be related in some way to GSDs, working dogs, dog politics, dog culture, fictional books dogs, training methods, etc.

It might give us some interesting content to discuss.... Please respond if you're interested, if there are a handful of people I'll build a poll to choose the first title.

Cheers!
I would be interested, I love to read. Question, though, does it have to be limited to GSD's or even dogs? Or could it be just any book that someone enjoys or finds interesting? Maybe take turns picking a selection so everybody has a chance? I am always on the lookout for good books and I get some of the best ideas from other people who also love to read...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlie View Post
I would be interested, I love to read. Question, though, does it have to be limited to GSD's or even dogs? Or could it be just any book that someone enjoys or finds interesting? Maybe take turns picking a selection so everybody has a chance? I am always on the lookout for good books and I get some of the best ideas from other people who also love to read...
I'm open to whatever most people prefer - I just figured I'll be the catalyst and try and get this off the ground I also love to read, my house is full of books. Since dogs are what we all have in common, maybe we can start there and see where things go in the coming months?

What I was thinking (for simplicity, organization, and some element of democracy) - anyone who would like to recommend a book for consideration, please do - I'll consolidate the list into one poll. Whichever book receives the most votes will be the choice for the month.
ksotto333 likes this.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 02:46 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
I'm open to whatever most people prefer - I just figured I'll be the catalyst and try and get this off the ground I also love to read, my house is full of books. Since dogs are what we all have in common, maybe we can start there and see where things go in the coming months?

What I was thinking (for simplicity, organization, and some element of democracy) - anyone who would like to recommend a book for consideration, please do - I'll consolidate the list into one poll. Whichever book receives the most votes will be the choice for the month.
Great idea!
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 02:50 PM
Crowned Member

Ok, one of my all time favorite books of mine is Merle's Door, unless everyone has already read it. Another one is about a Coyote, named Charlie, raised by a young woman in WY but I don't remember the title. Some of us don't have Kindle (me) and need some time ahead to get the book itself in our hands.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Ok, one of my all time favorite books of mine is Merle's Door, unless everyone has already read it. Another one is about a Coyote, named Charlie, raised by a young woman in WY but I don't remember the title. Some of us don't have Kindle (me) and need some time ahead to get the book itself in our hands.
Shreve Stockton's "Daily Coyote", which is on my bookshelf as well. Thumbs up.

So we have our first few recommendations, hopefully a few more of you are interested as well:

- Ted Kerasote's "Merle's Door" (wolfy dog)

- Shreve Stockton's "The Daily Coyote" (wolfy dog)

- Jon Katz's "The New Work of Dogs" < love him or hate him, this book by Katz directly relates to some threads we've had recently

- Garth Stein's "The Art of Racing in the Rain" < one of my all time favorite books, life and loss through the eyes of a dog
ksotto333 and Muskeg like this.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 03:14 PM

I would be interested, particularly if dogs are a unifying theme. My recommendation:

A Dog's Purpose
CatChandler likes this.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 03:23 PM
Crowned Member

Love the idea .

Love the Daily Coyote and love The Art of Racing in the Rain.
ksotto333 and WIBackpacker like this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 03:33 PM
Knighted Member

I will have to go home and search out all my dog books! I loved The Art of Racing in the Rain and I know I read Merle's Door, but I can't place it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page