Your favourite dog training gurus? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Your favourite dog training gurus?

One of the most daunting tasks in training your dog is finding good reliable information on-line. There are so many training and behavioral canine philosophies out there they start to contradict each other.
Which dog training gurus do you follow?
I really like Michael Ellis and to an extend Ed Frawley, although he is a bit too old school for my liking. I definitely do not agree with a lot of Cesar Milan's ideas.

"Utility is the true criterion of beauty." - Max von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:20 AM
Master Member

Michael Ellis, number one, but not much in the way of free 'how to's' there, although he does share a lot of information for anyone who already knows the basics.
I also like Tyler Muto for some things/some dogs/some situations.
And kikopup (on youtube) as she has some very step-by-step easy to follow videos (as long as you can get past, or don't mind, the all positive agenda). Kikopup's channel is a great place to start, especially with puppies and beginner owner combinations.
I love clicker training/motivational training but am not too keen on the politics, or rigid 'my way or the highway' methods in general.
Which is why I love Michael Ellis--
Leerburg/Ed Frawley helped me tackle Dynamo's prey-drive towards our cats, (way back when), so I'm pretty grateful to him too (theory of corrections, introducing dog to cat).
But as for guru's, Michael Ellis. If I had a million dollars, I would go to his school, just for fun.

SONIC (Potcake+BC) DOB JL 2014, Mine Jan 12 2016

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cats: Riker, Simba, Batman
Angels: Dynamo GSD, Zandor GSD Mix, Misha GSD
Me: Artist, geeked out on dog training
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:25 AM

Ivan Balabanov has some really great videos as well.
Mudypoz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:41 AM

I have to admit I do like Cesar Millan. Maybe more because I get to watch the show and then try to apply..I will say I have not watched any others. If anyone can explain difference between him and others mentioned to help me understand different major philosophy that would be awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160610_104846_1466005182034.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	370873  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 12:07 PM

I like Michael Ellis a lot.Most of the time when I watch training videos it's with the sound off.If the dog is actually responsive and engaged then I will listen to the dialogue.I learn more watching how the dog and handler communicate with each other.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaslkaos View Post
But as for guru's, Michael Ellis. If I had a million dollars, I would go to his school, just for fun.
His school is about 10 mins. from my house and I would love to go, too! If I'm able to retire early I've promised myself that I WILL do it
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo's dad View Post
I really like Michael Ellis and to an extend Ed Frawley, although he is a bit too old school for my liking.
I like Ellis as well.....I have to say Frawley won me over when I listened to him talk about getting a dog's engagement.....if you don't have that...you have nothing....as he says. Kind of a cornerstone in my training approach/sessions and has helped me tremendously.

SuperG
dogma13 likes this.

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Crowned Member

The only thing I appreciate from CM is the fact that he promotes exercise for the dogs. Other than that I learn what others have to offer and pick and choose what fits us (dog and me).
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 04:23 PM
Crowned Member

My only experience with Michael Ellis are his online speaking videos. I learn better from watching someone work a dog rather than listening to an explanation so he hasn't been that useful. My favorite trainer is the person I'm using now who shows us everything and breaks it down into easy exercises. We are learning to introduce minor stress to allow the dog to make his own decisions and work through what we want. We mostly use a flat collar and a leash, with minor leash pressure. He explains it from the dog's perspective, what the dog sees, how he interprets it and how he processes. He also teaches things in different order than standard obedience. We learned recall first, before anything else. I haven't found anyone online who comes close to this method, maybe Sean O'Shea.

In theory, I like Kikopup but in practice, her methods didn't work for me with a drivey puppy. Jeff Gellman gets good results but he's too weird for me. I've used some Leerburgs for marker training and it worked, but they are more food oriented than I am.
LBethO likes this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 04:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
The only thing I appreciate from CM is the fact that he promotes exercise for the dogs. Other than that I learn what others have to offer and pick and choose what fits us (dog and me).
Exercise and calm confidence, both of which work great with German Shepherds. I've watched hours of his videos and never did figure out exactly what he does to teach the dogs, though. Most of his work is off camera. Maybe for the best. I would never use his physical methods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page