Leerburg Obedience vs Michael Ellis' Power of Food? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Leerburg Obedience vs Michael Ellis' Power of Food?

I have absorbed as many of Michael Ellis' free online videos as I can find and really enjoy his teaching style and his system makes a lot of sense to me. We've already seen very positive results applying the concepts when working with our dogs and I want to dig in more as our new puppy is taking to it well and I want to do it right.

I am prepared to buy the streaming version directly from Leerburg's site for $50, but then I also noticed that Leerburg has a Basic Obedience video as well which was produced in 2008 and likely features much of ME's influence vs their older stuff (since Frawley seems to be a big ME fan). That video is almost twice as long as the Food video and is $10 cheaper. Both seem to cover similar material from the descriptions.

I'm wondering if anybody has seen both of these and can compare/contrast?

Having watched Ellis' hour long philosophy of dog training video (and misc others) I feel like I get his general concepts but I'd like to see a lot more practical examples of how it's applied. Which video do you think I should I go with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 05:55 PM
Crowned Member

If you're going to train your puppy in the reward/marker style, I'd say watch the ME stuff.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 05:58 PM
Crowned Member

Are you looking to train for IPO style obedience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Are you looking to train for IPO style obedience?
Yes, that's my intention.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 10:09 PM

No, don't buy the leerburg basic obedience stuff. It's not worth it in my opinion. Tons better videos on youtube. The Ellis ones are worth it. I have seen both. I had multiple leerburg obedience such as puppy, basic, can't remember the rest.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 10:10 PM

You might want to look into a bowwowflix subscription. It works like netflix, but it's everything dog videos.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 10:14 PM

Although I will say if I remember correctly, the marker training one isn't bad. I can't remember if Ellis was in it or not.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 08:35 AM
Crowned Member

If you're going to do IPO and want to watch some videos, I'd suggest looking at Ivan's stuff before you buy anything.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 08:03 PM

Ivan is excellent and would be a very good choice. Michael Ellis videos are excellent also. If you are looking at Leerburg, they have some great videos, just stay away from any that feature Ed as the expert. Flinks and Ellis are very good and really talented.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page