Foods That Are Toxic To Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Foods That Are Toxic To Dogs

Thought many might find this information helpful. Many of the foods listed might surprise you.

Foods That Are Toxic To Dogs | German Shepherd Dogs

Thanks,
Rachel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Banned

I wish they stated why all these things are poisonous. Like the Liver.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Crowned Member

Liver and garlic are not toxic to dogs.
In fact liver is necessary .
The problem , as for garlic, is amounts or volume.

Why Organ Meat Is Important For The Raw Fed Dog - Dogs Naturally Magazine

from that article "
Liver also contains one of the best, most usable sources for the body, of iron. Iron is necessary for many functions in the body including formation of hemoglobin, brain development and function, regulation of body temperature, muscle activity and catecholamine metabolism, to name just a few. A lack of iron will have a direct effect on the immune system; it diminishes the number of T- cells and the production of antibodies.
Iron is essential for oxygen to the blood cells. The primary function of iron is oxygen transport and cell respiration. For an anemic person, fatigue is one of the most noticeable symptoms. The iron in liver is one of most easily absorbable and usable sources of iron."

Iron Requirements & Deficiencies in Dogs

Carmen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post

from that article "
Liver also contains one of the best, most usable sources for the body, of iron. Iron is necessary for many functions in the body including formation of hemoglobin, brain development and function, regulation of body temperature, muscle activity and catecholamine metabolism, to name just a few. A lack of iron will have a direct effect on the immune system; it diminishes the number of T- cells and the production of antibodies.
Iron is essential for oxygen to the blood cells. The primary function of iron is oxygen transport and cell respiration. For an anemic person, fatigue is one of the most noticeable symptoms. The iron in liver is one of most easily absorbable and usable sources of iron."

Carmen,

That is what I always heard also, which is why I was wondering why they listed it as a poison for dogs.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Crowned Member

I've fed raw eggs for a gazillion years. Never had a problem. I suppose if you fed your dog a bunch of raw eggs at one time, you'd have a problem.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Crowned Member

yes , same experience with the raw eggs, no problem

liver has to do with giving large amounts over a long period of time.

Animal based Vitamin A is accumulated and stored in the liver .
The dog would need to eat a lot of liver or get COD LIVER oil which is often erroneously given as a source for FISH oil.
It is not the same -- fish oil comes from the pressing of oily fish such as herring .
Animal sourced Vitamin A fat soluble , stored for future use.

Water soluble vitamin A converted from carotenoids , alpha and beta carotene , found in carrots, red palm oil, sweet potatoes etc is eliminated -- not stored .

Vitamin A Toxicity in Dogs

Carmen

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschrest View Post
I wish they stated why all these things are poisonous. Like the Liver.
From the sources I found small amounts of liver are okay. However, liver contains quite a bit of Vitamin A, which can adversely affect your pup’s muscles and bones.

Thanks,
Rachel

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I've fed raw eggs for a gazillion years. Never had a problem. I suppose if you fed your dog a bunch of raw eggs at one time, you'd have a problem.
Several sources I found online state that there are two problems with giving your dog raw eggs. One is the possibility of food poisoning from bacteria like Salmonella or E. coli. The second is that an enzyme in raw eggs interferes with the absorption of a particular B vitamin.

However, not all the sources agree with one another. So I definitely recommend discussing the list with your vet.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Rachel

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post

from that article "

Garlic was a common item listed among many sources including many veterinarians I spoke to as being dangerous for dogs. The problem with garlic is the damaging affects take 3 - 5 days to show up after it has been ingested so the poisoning happens slowly over time.

Garlic damages the red blood cells causing them to break down and in severe cases may require a blood transfusion to save the dogs life. The amount ingested can definitely play a factor, based on the size of the dog so I always recommend discussing everything on the list with your veterinarian, and get their opinion.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Rachel

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:04 PM

On feeding raw eggs..

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar.../raw-eggs.aspx

And garlic..

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...n-or-medicine/

Last edited by E.Hatch; 07-09-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page