Top Five Books for a new dog owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Top Five Books for a new dog owner

I'd like an overall book on training etc but I REALLY REALLY want a REALLY good book on canine psychology. And then one on pointer dogs because that's something I want to train my dog in somewhat.

thanks,
Soaren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 01:20 AM

That question is nearly impossible to answer since there are so many different schools of thought and training methods that all seem to work. The New Skete Monks seem to have a very thorough book on basic dog psychology. But a training manual is going to be the one that works best for that particular dog and that specific owner. It is all about what you are comfortable with and how much time you are going to invest to get the results that you want. I am assuming that your dog is not a GSD because I have never heard of a herding dog trained to be a pointer. Their predatory instincts are very hard to overcome and very difficult to get get the dog to do something so out of character or breed guidelines. I'm not saying it cannot be done, it is just going to take longer and require more patience to get there. Good luck and let us know how it works out..

Wheelchair Bob
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Elite Member

Top five:

(1) The Other End of the Leash, Patricia McConnell -- as good as you'll get by way of "canine psychology" introductions.

(2) Bones Would Rain From the Sky, Suzanne Clothier -- not really a training book or about dog psychology; more a philosophical meditation on our relationships with dogs, how we choose to interact with them, and what the rewards are of doing so carefully, conscientiously, and with awareness of the quality of our relationships. I reread this book often.

(3) The Power of Positive Dog Training, Pat Miller (if you want a more thorough version) OR Family-Friendly Dog Training, Patricia McConnell (if you want the quicker version and want to involve the whole family) OR The Puppy Primer, Patricia McConnell (if you want the quicker version and have a puppy). Basic training primers, good place to get started with just about any dog.

(4) The Adopted Dog Bible, Kim Saunders/Petfinder.com. It doesn't actually matter if your dog was purchased or adopted, this is a good broad overview of basic health issues, caretaking practices, training tips, etc. Good introductory book that covers all the beginner bases.

(5) Control Unleashed, Leslie McDevitt -- I add this one with some hesitation, because it is really not geared for the novice owner. But the information in it is SO good and SO thorough that if you are thinking of doing any sports or work with your dog, it has to be on your list at some point.

If you want more on "dog psychology," some good pop treatments include John Bradshaw's Dog Sense, Stanley Coren's The Intelligence of Dogs (although his actual intelligence metrics are somewhat controversial as they tend to emphasize trainability over independent problem-solving skills), and maaaaybe Alexandra Horowitz's Inside of a Dog, although IMO it is decidedly second-tier next to the others.

I would not recommend the Monks of New Skete for dog psychology. Not by a long shot.

As far as pointer training goes, that's something you can't really get out of a book, and probably can't get out of a dog that hasn't been specifically bred for it. Instinct is crucial for a good working bird dog.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 01:50 PM

I'd also recommend The Other End Of The Leash, by Patricia McConnell.

Sent from Petguide.com App

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 02:44 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Pointer dogs? Well you don't train "pointing" - it is an instinctive part of the hunt sequence and hard wired into pointers to stop there and not complete the rest of the sequence. Not a GSD "thing" though you may see it momentarily.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Master Member

I just ordered "The Other End of the Leash", to see if I can pick up any insight into Joey's psychology.

Faust von der Graf ("Joey")
13 year old GSD 11-22-05; SchH3
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Pointer dogs? Well you don't train "pointing" - it is an instinctive part of the hunt sequence and hard wired into pointers to stop there and not complete the rest of the sequence. Not a GSD "thing" though you may see it momentarily.
I'm trying to think how you even would try to train it, and the best I can come up with is to do it as a completely artificial trick: (1) capture the point position; (2) put it on cue; (3) add the presence of a bird as a secondary cue (this would require having some sort of caged game bird as a practice prop, which seems difficult to obtain and quite probably inhumane to use); (4) fade the original cue and use the bird's presence as the exclusive final cue.

That does not get you anything close to an actual bird dog. It just gets you a dog who can point at an obviously present game bird, and that's only IF you can also convince the dog not to just chase the bird for fun instead (which is gonna be a tall order for a lot of prey-driven GSDs).

It could be a fun little challenge and you could probably spin it into an amusing trick (here I'm imagining a dog who cheerfully POINTS! to toy sailboats, a hair dryer, a tennis ball, etc., all the while ignoring an actual game bird strutting around in the background), but that's about as far as it would go.

Also, back to the original question, I forgot to list Patricia McConnell's For the Love of a Dog as another good "dog psych" recommendation.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 12:06 PM

I really like the books by the Monks of New Skete. Although they aren't specifically about psychology of dogs, I think the authors have a lot of good insight into the relationship between dog and owner and how a dog's mind works.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciel View Post
(1) The Other End of the Leash, Patricia McConnell -- as good as you'll get by way of "canine psychology" introductions.
I've read "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell couple months ago, it's quite good and isn't expensive. Definitely a good recommendation.

Hope it helps, John.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 12:02 AM

I can't say enough good things about this book, they really breakdown the behaviour and is easy too read & understand. It goes over from day one to year one of your pups life.

Control Unleashed, Leslie McDevitt --http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=30 80&ParentCat=175
Control Unleashed®: The Puppy Program is meant as “preventive medicine” for puppy raisers. Many common behavior problems can be either prevented or minimized by starting a puppy with good foundation training from the beginning. In addition, this book provides a program that will help you create a puppy that is ready for sport-specific training at the appropriate age—a puppy with the ability to focus on whatever you want, for as long as you want, whenever you want.

“Paying attention” is its own skill set and teaching it should be separate from teaching your puppy more complex behaviors. Without attention, you won’t get as far as you want with all those other behaviors you’re going to teach because it’s likely they will fall apart in the face of distraction. So it is wise to teach the attention skill set as the “base of operations” for your puppy training. The attention skill set includes: Discrimination skills, self-control skills, and arousal regulation skills.

Last edited by pressured41; 01-03-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page