Precaution while buying dog matress - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Smile Precaution while buying dog matress

Hey All,
I will like to know what are the precautions should be taken while purchasing dog mattress? i am thinking of buying one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 08:59 PM

I just read a book by Ted Kerasote, 'Pukka's Promise, the quest for longer lived dogs' he did a lot of research on a number of health issues, he cautioned people to not buy fire retardant material that comes in most dog beds as the fire retardant is toxic. Do you have a puppy or adult dog?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 PM

If your dog doesn't smoke in bed, then the fire retardant material probably isn't all that important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
If your dog doesn't smoke in bed, then the fire retardant material probably isn't all that important.
It's certainly a habit you can train them out of.

To answer honestly, I bought a non-fire retardant LL Bean Humongous dog bed years ago. It has a canvas cover that zips off to be washed and the bed part is made of a material that is waterproof and never smells, but I can disinfect it if I need to. It doesn't make squinchy noises either. That was a big issue for us when we bought it. HTH

We've had that bed for 14 years...through two dogs. Luckily, we have not had "bed destroyers".

Scarlett WGSD 2/07 CGC TDI(retired)
Paige Husky/GSD mix 2/95-12/08

If you are going through hades, keep going!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD2 View Post
I just read a book by Ted Kerasote, 'Pukka's Promise, the quest for longer lived dogs' he did a lot of research on a number of health issues, he cautioned people to not buy fire retardant material that comes in most dog beds as the fire retardant is toxic. Do you have a puppy or adult dog?
Thanks for your advice !!!!!! I have a German shepard puppy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have a "destroyer of fabric" and just bought the kurunda cot and, so far, and liking it a LOT plus I can take it outside and hose it off. Not cheap but over time, if he does not destroy it, it will save me money and won't cost the vet bills for ingested stuffing.....

ah, I see India. I don't know if anything like this over there but it is a nice design I could see similar could be made with some creativity

http://kuranda.com/

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 04-01-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page