GSD and the Parrot - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

GSD and the Parrot

I am not sure if this belongs here or not but I had to share it. In the beginning of the video it seems to be all cutesy but by the end I was actually a little worried for the parrot. I personally would never let my dog play that closely with a small animal like in this video, makes me too dang nervous.

Parrot and Dog Share a Stick | Life With Dogs

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your DOG. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~ Anonymous

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Crowned Member

nah, very gentle play from both parties. Having spent quite a bit of time and some keeping of large macaws (fostering), they can handle themselves better than any cat can, and many cats rule the roost even with GSD's. That dog was being very gentle, and the bird was demonstrating bonded behavior towards the dog (the regurgitation) , so clearly they spend a lot of time together.

The owner also cuts the tape at the end so even though it was still play behavior, she may have been shutting down recording it to calm things back down.

All that said, I don't let my parrot and dogs interact like that but my bird nor my dogs would be interested in interacting like that.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Elite Member

That was so adorable. We used to have an Amazon and she was allowed out with cats around the house, mostly because the cats always had a healthy respect for her beak. The key is being really observant and never leaving them unsupervised.

My Dog: Krissie ~ Beagle Mix Extraordinaire 09/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Crowned Member

The video is cute, but dog saliva is toxic to birds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Knighted Member

That was sooooo cute. My mother has an African Grey who would in NO way be that nice or tolerant. When Dharma was a puppy and stayed with them while I went on a cruise, my mom said Dharma tried to play with Winston. Winston pecked her one really good time on her nose and she didn't mess with him again.

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Master Member

My Brother was petsitting a neighbors Conure recently. He is a very friendly and mellow bird.

I had Tober over to visit, the bird and Tober were very interested in each other (bird stayed in cage with door shut). Tober walked up to the cage and sat and watched the bird. All of a sudden the bird began cocking his head and saying, "pretty boy". Tober and the bird had a head cocking show down that lasted about 5min.

After that Tober mostly left the bird alone. But, occasionally would go sit by the cage and watch.

Sydney(rescue)-Pit cross
Birbo(rescue)-GSD

Until we meet again . . .
Bear(rescue)-GSD, my soul mate.
Kai-(rescue)GSD, my forever baby.
Kobie-Pomeranian, my tiniest dog with the biggest heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page