Natl Geo Dog Article - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Natl Geo Dog Article

Natl Geo dog DNA article

National Geographic Magazine - NGM.com

The February 2012 issue of National Geographic has an article entitled What Dog's Tell Us: The ABC's of DNA.

The section about the three genes and their mutations that create different dog coats was surprising to.

Scientists analyzed the DNA of 85 breeds and discovered they could be placed into four categories, which they they named Wolflike, Herders, Hunters, and Mastifflike.

The top 8 of the 85 breeds that had mostly Wolflike DNA were, Shiba Inu, Chow Chow, Akita, Alaskan Malamute Basenji, Chinese Shar-Pei, Siberian Husky, and Afghan Hound. The vast majority of the remaining breeds had hardly any Wolflike DNA. Most dogs were in the Hunter category.

According to this, Jake our borzoi has Herding DNA! ( although he shows no herding instinct!

The GSD's DNA is mostly in the Mastifflike category.

They also talked about genetic disorders in dogs and how they have not been able to identify genes related to canine behavior except a "dog version of the gene for obsessive-compulsive disorder in humans

There was also a short article about village dogs. The scientist traveled to Africa and analyzed the DNA from 300 village dogs and found out that most of them were as closely related to wolves as they were to domesticated dogs.

It has some really cool pictures too.

Benedict GSD 4/13/09
Pippin GR 2/6/14

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Elite Member

Neat--I look forward to reading it.

Christine

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Crowned Member

Cool. I'm going to check that out.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Banned

Out of all the genes, I wonder which ones they were using for comparison and categorization.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbieg View Post

According to this, Jake our borzoi has Herding DNA! ( although he shows no herding instinct!
This is not as surprising when one remembers that collie blood was added to the breed.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Crowned Member

angelas , the other way around, borzoi was added to collie , which changed the collie to the modern version with the narrow head -- this was Queen Victoria's idea .
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbieg View Post

The GSD's DNA is mostly in the Mastifflike category.
That would be the, um, Swabian dogs? Right? Not the other ones that starts with Th?

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
That would be the, um, Swabian dogs? Right? Not the other ones that starts with Th?
I don't know. Maybe the gsd's they took the DNA from had more of the thuringian than the swabian

I just found the article interesting and wanted to share. I live learning about dogs because next to the relationships I have with my family the relationships with digs have brought so much joy and meaning to my life,

Benedict GSD 4/13/09
Pippin GR 2/6/14

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:55 AM
Crowned Member

my friend who I mention often is a senior research microbiologist who worked on the genome . This is not new "news" as the canine and human genome have been out for almost 10 years. It does not matter Swabian or Thuringian they model was basic modern GSD. The GSD did have a familial root in the mastiff-like group . Do not think of modern purebred mastiffs , but the mastiff molosser dogs that the Roman army took across "europe" in its conquest and empire building . They left behind children and language and dogs , which performed as guard and herders . The Roman empire stopped in Gallica with an infiltrated area which become upper and lower Germania , but were repelled from their efforts in conquering Magna Germania in the battle of Teutoburg with the warrior Arminius (Hermann) . These barbarians were too fierce for the Romans. This is where Martin got the name Arminius for his show kennel , as in Wienerau and Arminius.
I have been reading the histories of Germany as a prelude to these books Hitler's Vienna, 1938 , after having read Weimar Germany and Ian Kershaw's studies (very heavy - so sporadic only).

I did look at National Geographic today and guess I missed that article -but did see the article on the sled dogs and their intelligence . I did pick up Scientific American which has an article on "Magnetic Sensing in Animals" and lead topic - "the pathway of youth" . Also picked up Discover's "the brain" with an article on "animal prodigies" - "how dogs read minds and birds that cheat and steal " .

I'll have to go back and look for the National Geographic again and add that to my reference library then.

adding this -- the border collie belongs to the wolf-like group , the GSD does not , even though there is relatively recent introduction to some wolf genetics.

Carmen

Last edited by carmspack; 01-23-2012 at 12:58 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Carmen, the article is in the February issue. The one about sled dogs was an earlier issue. If you click on the link in the first post and then click table of contents you can read it on line.

Sorry about the typos in my last post above this one. I would appreciate it if a mod could change "dig" to dog and "live" to love! I was typing from my phone in poor light.

Benedict GSD 4/13/09
Pippin GR 2/6/14

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page