Keefer's Control Unleashed Workshop-LONG! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Re: Keefer's Control Unleashed Workshop-LONG!

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Camerafodderha, i got thru the whole thing, then had to take a nap just to reply
Check-in was between 8:00 and 9:00 AM, (I got there about 8:30), and it was over a little past 5:00 PM. I thought he did really well too, he's barked more in a one hour obedience class than he did in the almost 9 hours that we were at the workshop.

Calone, you're lucky, Kienan lives in Southern California (Riverside maybe?) and I'm sure she does workshops and maybe even classes there. Have you read Control Unleashed? It's really a terrific book, and will give you an idea of the program, which is for reactive, or even just distracted dogs, either in the context of competing in agility or other sports, and also for companion dogs. http://www.controlunleashed.net/book.html There's a CU yahoo list to discuss training techniques, ask questions, and share successes, and a separate one for SF Bay Area events, and maybe other areas too. Leslie is on the main list daily, and is very good about answering questions.

Kathy, we're signed up for the next Continuation workshop, which will be in the middle of next month. It's shorter, 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM the evening before the next Intro workshop, and will have 10 working teams instead of 15. After we've all worked on the foundation work for a month, we'll do some of the games with two or more dogs.

The planned workshops were for a weekend in mid June, July and August, and Kienan does privates Saturday during the day, Continuation that evening, and then Intro all day Sunday. The plan is to try and get her up here on a regular basis, maybe quarterly, and some of the people on the SF list get together and practice.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Cassidys MomThere was a lot of stuff to bring! Usually it's me, the dog, my purse, maybe a bottle of water, and I'm wearing the treat bag. We were told to bring "an absurd amount of treats", so I had the big ol' crate, a fuzzy mat, and a day pack with a water bowl, a ziplock bag of tiny treats plus an extra bag of Solid Gold Jerkey and Zuke's Mini Naturals, a stuffed Kong, a squeeze tube of peanut butter, a can of spray cheese, a sheet, the CU book, and a notebook and pencil in addition to the usual stuff - it was three trips to the car!
Next time you can borrow the dolly I have for trials and fun matches. A small motorized cart might do better!

Yes, Kayla came from Von Falconer.

OT - but did you notice or check out the bulletin board on the left as you came in. Saw a brochure there for a place in Half Moon Bay doing herding test. Thinking about checking that out since IMO Half Moon Bay would be a lot more pleasant than Fairfield.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

Wow. Sounds like the workshop was a lot of fun and that Keef did wonderfully. I wish something like that would come out here (or that I'd move somewhere it would) since I know it would be good for Risa to attend. Though she wouldn't be as well-behaved as Keefer.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Risa's Blog)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Everett54OT - but did you notice or check out the bulletin board on the left as you came in. Saw a brochure there for a place in Half Moon Bay doing herding test. Thinking about checking that out since IMO Half Moon Bay would be a lot more pleasant than Fairfield.
You know, I saw some stuff on the walls, but I didn't stop to read any of it. At lunch I asked Ellen where she went for herding, and she mentioned places in Half Moon Bay and Santa Rosa. I think it was the place in Fairfield that she said did not like CU dogs, so she doesn't go there. Apparently her Yoshi is pretty bad.

Jamie, I think you'd be surprised by how well Risa would do - Keef surprised the heck out of me! Other than that one brief moment at the end, which was totally my fault, it was easier to divert his attention back to me using LAT than I expected in that kind of environment. Up until then I had used it on a couple of walks, with dogs across the street, never up close and personal like on Sunday. I think being able to practice it so much in a relatively short period of time helped him to really "get" it.

Some people on the CU list were talking about one of the previous workshops and said that many people had their dogs hanging on on their mats by the end of the day. I thought "not my dog, no way will I be able to do that with him". Well, I did! It's one thing to keep his attention when I'm actively working with him, since it was the down time between exercises when the instructor is talking about and demonstrating what we were going to work on next that I'd lose him in an obedience class. But to just sit there watching other dogs in the ring, with him laying calmly on his mat, either with his head down, or on his side - WOW!

It was definitely a "who are you and what have you done with my real dog" kind of day!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page