Western New York anyone? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Western New York anyone?

Looking for others in western NY, Rochester area to be more specific but willing to drive!

Looking for a good club, a trainer, and fellow GSD's that are looking to go hiking with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 06:53 AM
Elite Member

Try Deb Zappia. She is close to Rochester. Very well known and highly regarded GSD trainer. I don't have personal experience with her...but have heard great things from people I respect.

Welcome! | ProFormance K9?s & Olgameister Kennels

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 09:26 AM
Crowned Member

Depending on what you want, competition, AKC or pet obedience...

Deb Zappia is the best. Jody Potter works with her. I can give you either of their emails.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, my friend who has two shepherds recommended Rochester NY Dog Training. He has three amazingly well trained GSDS and swears by this trainer. Has anyone heard of him?

I looked into Deb but I'm not really looking to get into showing/protective work which is what it looked like they worked on.

As far as clubs, I found gsdca.org ?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 08:07 AM
Crowned Member

How about trying Boomtown? They have a wide range of things to do with your dog there in terms of classes. Boom Towne Canine Campus - Home

Kind of a clubby feel there. That GSD club - I haven't been around it for like 10 years, I have a rescue, wasn't really the target for that group I do not think - more show and breeders, maybe it's changed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 08:26 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaingFam View Post
Thanks everyone, my friend who has two shepherds recommended Rochester NY Dog Training. He has three amazingly well trained GSDS and swears by this trainer. Has anyone heard of him?

I looked into Deb but I'm not really looking to get into showing/protective work which is what it looked like they worked on.

As far as clubs, I found gsdca.org ?
a

I don't think you have a full understanding of the training.
Deb is my trainer. Deb trains and competes in IPO. That is tracking, obedience and protection. She is one of the best, if not THE best, obedience trainer in the U.S. She typically does the training for the sport dogs but also pet dogs. Jody is her partner, and my dog's breeder. She typically trains the pet dogs. She's excellent as well.

The GSDCA is not a 'club'. It's an organization. If you are looking for a 'club' then I think there is an AKC German Shepherd club in Rochester.

I'm not trying to talk you into one over the other, just want to make sure there is an understanding of what is actually trained and it's not just "protection"

Last edited by Jax08; 05-18-2015 at 08:28 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
How about trying Boomtown?.
NOOO Way! I have heard SO many horrible stories about Boomtown. I refuse to go anywhere near there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I'm not trying to talk you into one over the other, just want to make sure there is an understanding of what is actually trained and it's not just "protection"
No need to apologize, really! Thats why I'm here. She seems pretty cool? How much does she normally charge?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 10:59 AM
Crowned Member

Deb and Jody are both awesome. You'll need to contact them directly for lesson costs and discuss what you want for training.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 07:48 PM
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to VomBlack
My friends and I are in Rochester and typically meet up at least once a week to do obedience or tracking, or take the GSDs out to hike or swim in the area. We also meet up on Sundays to do bitework or tracking/detection down in Canandaigua and are always open to new people.

Kelli Black &
Bianka "Shade" v. Littlehaus (2/2/11)
Wodanaz "Odin" BH, CD, RE, TT, CGC, TDI, OFA H/E (2/13/09)

"Utility is the true criterion of beauty."
- Captain Max von Stephanitz
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 08:01 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Caja's Mom
We deal with Boomtowne quite a bit with many flyball tournaments there each year. Plus there is a local flyball group that practices Friday night.

The place has been great and 2 Fast 4 U, is an awesome team.

~Trish~

SG Emir (Errow) van Klipgaarden SchH 3, AWD 1, AD, KKL 1, ONYX, CGC

V Ziberia (Panther) v alten Wingertshaus IPO 1, AD, FDX, CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page