Why did a club refuse just cause I volunteer at a shelter? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobobear44 View Post
@Liesje

Wait what do you mean commitment for these clubs? How much commitment do you have to put in? I would be very committed though seriously. The only problem is I have a longer commute than I think most of them.
Participate in weekly meetings/training, volunteer to help when hosting events, pay monthly dues, enter your dogs in events hosted by the club....

For flyball we usually train once a week for about 3 hours. When the weather is nice, we also get together at each others' houses once a week to do box work with the young dogs. I pay each time we train AND pay quarterly dues. We commit to traveling to a tournament about once a month and this usually involves a 2.5 hour drive each way unless it's out of state, then anywhere from 5-9 hours each way. That includes being in a hotel all weekend.

When I was a full member of a Schutzhund club, I drove 2.5 hours one way for training once a week and it was often 6 hours. There was a yearly fee and then monthly dues. I also committed to helping with one of the two trials (the spring trial is always the same weekend as our closest flyball tournament), bringing food, buying raffle items, and doing the trial photography.

With most clubs, you can't just attend and be a fly on the wall. You need to be an active participant both with your dogs and volunteering your time and skills.

Last edited by Liesje; 01-27-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Participate in weekly meetings/training, volunteer to help when hosting events, pay monthly dues, enter your dogs in events hosted by the club....

For flyball we usually train once a week for about 3 hours. When the weather is nice, we also get together at each others' houses once a week to do box work with the young dogs. I pay each time we train AND pay quarterly dues. We commit to traveling to a tournament about once a month and this usually involves a 2.5 hour drive each way unless it's out of state, then anywhere from 5-9 hours each way. That includes being in a hotel all weekend.

When I was a full member of a Schutzhund club, I drove 2.5 hours one way for training once a week and it was often 6 hours. There was a yearly fee and then monthly dues. I also committed to helping with one of the two trials (the spring trial is always the same weekend as our closest flyball tournament), bringing food, buying raffle items, and doing the trial photography.

With most clubs, you can't just attend and be a fly on the wall. You need to be an active participant both with your dogs and volunteering your time and skills.
Then this could be a once a month thing. I could talk to them about my commute. Could do once a month or find another way of tranportation. There is another one coming up I am considering taking the train too. So I filled out the application. Should I take it with me to the next show and give it to them or what? One of the Akita people did say that I think and something about sponsor. There was so much noise and distractions at the dog show kind of hard to tell what people really said.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Crowned Member

You may not be able to apply yet. For our flyball club, we don't accept new people until they have already demonstrated commitment. There is no formal application process. The current club members decide to "invite" a new person to become a full member after they have been training and attended events.

I would contact whoever is the contact person and ask if you can attend an upcoming meeting, get the date and time. I would not just show up. Some clubs do certain business at some meetings and it would not be a good time for a new person to be hanging out. They might have a meeting or event that would be more interesting/valuable.

If you plan to join multiple clubs, you have to also consider how this might "look". Like what Chris said about the breed thing, and....well in some locales, it matters what clubs you are in or not. You don't just haphazardly join them all. There might be more than one club for a sport or a breed and you'd want to make an informed choice. I am purposely NOT currently part of our local breed club. I know several people who are and they have been trying to recruit me because they want to move the club in the direction of training and sports/work, not just AKC conformation specialty. They know I am a member of other training/sports clubs and want my input. I attended a meeting and gave them contacts for various clubs, invited people to watch or even bring a dog along if they wanted to try. To date I have had zero people take me up on these invitations so I have said I will consider joining the breed club and helping them networking with sport/performance people *when* they start demonstrating to me that they are actually committed to other venues besides AKC specialty. Otherwise it is a waste of my time and it looks weird for me to be spending time and money that I could be putting towards more training and competition for my dogs on a club that only seems to promote AKC specialty dogs/events.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page