Why did a club refuse just cause I volunteer at a shelter? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:19 AM
Crowned Member

I belong to several 'working' dog clubs (another breed) that do not allow you to join unless you have a working dog.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
For the GSD breed club, I'd have to attend a certain amount of meetings, complete and application process, pay dues.
This is how our local GSD club works too. Fill out application, attend two meetings, club votes to let you in (or not), pay dues.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:25 AM

I agree with Lies, alot of clubs have certain criteria for joining, that's why I think it's best for you to find a trainer to mentor you and keep with the volunteering

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 12:09 PM
Elite Member

Apologies to OP. Good luck with your club search.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

As others have said, most clubs have certain criteria for membership that involves more than just filling out a form and joining.

Also, breed clubs and training clubs are different. Training clubs are for people who want to train dogs and learn to train dogs. In most cases, this requires having a dog to train, though some will often let people join and start attending as auditors if the person doesn't have a dog yet. Though the assumption there is usually that the person will be getting a dog in the foreseable future. Breed clubs are about learning about that specific breed. Some don't do anything other than sit around and talk about the breed, some are very involved with training, conformation showing, etc... In both cases, breed clubs are designed for people who are passionate about that specific breed. Not just dogs in general. And I think they are going to consider it quite odd if someone is wanting to join multiple breed clubs. They're going to sort of expect you to pick *your* breed and then maybe join it's club. Not join a bunch of different breed clubs for entirely different breeds.

Either way, giving where you are at now in your life, you will get more out of volunteering and training than out of any of the other things that the clubs have to offer so the shelter is likely going to be much more educational and the Collie person probably realized that, plus probably also realized you weren't head over heels in love with Collies specifically, so there really is no reason to join a club for that specific breed. She may have even seen you signing up for other clubs too, which to her would make absolutely no sense and indicate you don't really know what you want at this point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Crowned Member

Also keep in mind that every club will have dues/fee schedule. I'd be in more clubs than I am now if they didn't all have a dollar amount and time commitment! You will have to choose wisely.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post
As others have said, most clubs have certain criteria for membership that involves more than just filling out a form and joining.

Also, breed clubs and training clubs are different. Training clubs are for people who want to train dogs and learn to train dogs. In most cases, this requires having a dog to train, though some will often let people join and start attending as auditors if the person doesn't have a dog yet. Though the assumption there is usually that the person will be getting a dog in the foreseable future. Breed clubs are about learning about that specific breed. Some don't do anything other than sit around and talk about the breed, some are very involved with training, conformation showing, etc... In both cases, breed clubs are designed for people who are passionate about that specific breed. Not just dogs in general. And I think they are going to consider it quite odd if someone is wanting to join multiple breed clubs. They're going to sort of expect you to pick *your* breed and then maybe join it's club. Not join a bunch of different breed clubs for entirely different breeds.

Either way, giving where you are at now in your life, you will get more out of volunteering and training than out of any of the other things that the clubs have to offer so the shelter is likely going to be much more educational and the Collie person probably realized that, plus probably also realized you weren't head over heels in love with Collies specifically, so there really is no reason to join a club for that specific breed. She may have even seen you signing up for other clubs too, which to her would make absolutely no sense and indicate you don't really know what you want at this point.
I love all sorts of breeds and I would've liked to get to experience a lot of different breeds other than just German shepherds and Nordic breeds.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Also keep in mind that every club will have dues/fee schedule. I'd be in more clubs than I am now if they didn't all have a dollar amount and time commitment! You will have to choose wisely.
@Liesje

Wait what do you mean commitment for these clubs? How much commitment do you have to put in? I would be very committed though seriously. The only problem is I have a longer commute than I think most of them.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
The Akita and Anatolian are not dogs I would recommend you get started with if the goal is to interact with them.
Agreed. Akitas, Anatolians, Collies, and GSDs are all very different and disparate breeds. You need to focus on the breed(s) you are truly interested in owning someday. Don't take a shotgun approach to joining clubs. You will learn and retain more knowledge if you focus on one or two at a time.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobobear44 View Post
@Liesje

Wait what do you mean commitment for these clubs? How much commitment do you have to put in? I would be very committed though seriously. The only problem is I have a longer commute than I think most of them.
Training clubs generally meet/train on either a Saturday or a Sunday. More than likely its a Sunday, which is why its very difficult to be part of more than one at a time. Commitment is usually volunteering at shows or trials...which are on weekends and also make it difficult to go to your other clubs if you are in others.

I'm treasurer of my regional GSD club...I train there and instruct a class. I also have to go to board and general membership meetings. In total...I spend probably 4-5 hours a week dealing with club stuff or am there training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page