1st dog show!! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 01:11 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
i'm glad you and your dog are ok. your attending a dog show.
i think the dog that attacked needs more socializing and training.
i've attended many dog shows, some of them i work. in all of the
years i've been involved in shows i've never seen a dog fight
or dogs being aggressive.
He doesn't have a dog. He was overly involved with a neighbors dog, and the trainer blocked him from visiting and has now been searching for his own dog. :/

Metro 10/2005-5/2013
Sabo 3/2013-now
Kia 1/2014- now

Sabo- March 19, 2013
Metro- November 2006- May 29, 2013
Instagram-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(I'm nuts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfunhouse View Post
He doesn't have a dog. He was overly involved with a neighbors dog, and the trainer blocked him from visiting and has now been searching for his own dog. :/

Metro 10/2005-5/2013
Sabo 3/2013-now
Kia 1/2014- now
I have a Labradoodle well it seemed like this Doberman was very affectionate and sweet and thrived on attention. The owner said this never happened the breeder of this dog was there too. People saw me for awhile with this dog and thought they were having a great time. Until my face almost got torn off. No dogs definitely do not think like humans. Read and studied a lot from books warning not to humanize dogs. Follow yhat but get carried away. Now I should be extra careful dogs can be unpredictable. If you get defriended from a human friend they won't kill you other than mean words. However dogs defriend you the hard way by killing you. Defriended by human friend is a lot safer. Anyways that other dog ain't a neighbor he lives in the next town.

Last edited by Lobobear44; 01-26-2014 at 02:16 AM.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
"Really worried about her dog" ........ what are the consequences here. Typically the dog is considered "at fault" by the law even when people make mistakes. Often the dog pays the ultimate price.
@jocoyn

Idk the consequences all sorts of things can happen. Bad scenarios, luckily we are a nice family so I forgives the dog and we were kind to the responsible owner. The next family may not be so nice. The consequences for me is not hanging around this dog no more and to be extra cautious around dogs. Thought I had the humanizing part out apparently not. The breeder will go more low now because if people ask of her dobes ever bit anyone she would say yes. Now her dog will have trouble for show rings or not be allowed, etc. my fault this happened and I thought I was being careful. I thought oh be seems to be loving it perhaps I should trust if I put my head on him. Did earlier he was fine but had this feeling in gut maybe I should not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:00 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobobear44 View Post
I thought oh be seems to be loving it perhaps I should trust if I put my head on him. Did earlier he was fine but had this feeling in gut maybe I should not.
You shouldn't put your head on strange dogs He may be friendly but you have no idea what makes a strange dog uncomfortable or how much attention he will tolerate before it's just too much. If the dog is friendly and the owner says it's ok, pet the dog and be done with it a lot of dogs I know would get irritated with being smothered by a stranger. Hope your face heals quickly and you learn from this.

Mr. Eko 2/14/2012 - My first GSD and my little Romeo
Xena 11/30/12 - My first APBT and my little warrior princess

post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:53 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am glad you were not hurt that bad but sometimes the other thing is the consequence of a bite takes control out of the hand of the parties involved.

In 1987 (around then at least) I had a situation where I was walking down the street with my baby in a stroller, one kid on the right, the dog on the left and we passed an old man. We think as he passed he swung his hand into my dog's mouth and caught the tooth and tore it. When he got about 30 feet past me he said "ma'am I think, uh, your dog may have bit me". Old people can have very thin skin and he was a diabetic to boot but it tore the skin on the top of his hand......no marks anywhere else..........Well, I convinced him to go to the doctor at my expense and they called animal control. When animal control came to the house, they said "oh, no he said it was a freak accident and your dog did not bite him" and that was what was on the report. However, it did not matter. Despite the fact we were up on shots I had to impound the dog for 10 days. At my expense because I had the choice of the pound or a private kennel and I chose the latter, where they already knew him.

Now, If this bite on you is a puncture you need to watch it very carefully as you can get nasty infections with a dog bite. If you go to the doctor it has to be reported and dog laws kick in. So regardless of what you say about the intentions of the dog, the results may be out of your hands. I really do hope this is simply a lesson learned and does not go further. I believe California in 2014 is a lot stricter than North Carolina was in 1987.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:00 AM

I agree with Nancy.

I'm also glad you werent' seriously hurt, and that your a forgiving person. However, the dog can be not only permanently banned from showing , it can snowball into a real bad scenerio for the dog and owner.

I know you wouldn't want that to happen, so PLEASE when meeting a dog you have not met before, never ever hug, put your face in their face, 'think' that all dogs because they appear friendly, will not react and bite.

This dog could be labeled aggressive for the rest of it's life and I'm sure the owner would be devastated.

and Alex knock it off with snarky comments, if you have nothing of value to impart keep it to yourself please.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:38 AM
Knighted Member

The owner should not have let it get so far but may have not known how to nicely tell someone to bug off. You were most definitely doing way too much to a strange dog. Even a friendly dog doesn't want someone hanging on them. They might accept it briefly, but prolonged contact can be very uncomfortable, particularly when someone is putting their head/body on top of them. That's not a good position to put yourself in with a strange dog and your common sense should have told you that.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:56 AM
Elite Member

Even with all that in mind, and yes you probably went a little overboard with the touching and petting and hugging stuff dogs at a dog show should tolerate that and accept it or they don't belong in a dog show.

We did AKC Meet the Breeds in NYC with Einstein (an obedience demo and the booth) and there were more people than not that just did not know how to handle dogs. We met over a thousand people judging by the total number of visitors those days - kids, adults, seniors. Some were ok but most were just nuts. They got way too close, tried to pry Einstein's toy from his mouth, and god knows what else. If Einstein wasn't super stable I would have never put him out there. When you go to these shows you kind of assume that people will mishandle your dog and should be sure the dog can handle it with minimal stress.

With that said, if he says its the first time then maybe he had no idea what his dog was going to do. Was this his first time at the show? Hope your face is ok and that you got at least *some* medical attention. Scars, infection, etc are all real consequences of what may seem like a very small bite so do get yourself checked out.

Kept by
and Lady - snuggle extraordinaire!

Last edited by ayoitzrimz; 01-26-2014 at 09:02 AM.
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 09:05 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobobear44 View Post
I thought oh be seems to be loving it perhaps I should trust if I put my head on him. Did earlier he was fine but had this feeling in gut maybe I should not.
This is exactly why you have no business owning a "strong dog", much as you claim to be able to handle them. File this away in very important lessons learned moving forward, both in dealing with dogs you walk and dogs you eventually own. Attending training classes with your own labradoodle is a perfect way to learn how to act appropriately around dogs you don't know.

I hope your face is ok, and I hope the dog doesn't pay the price.
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 09:08 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslesleedavis1 View Post
OH NO!! i hope you were not trying to eat its brains like in your youtube video!

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page