westminster kennel club - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:19 AM
Crowned Member

I am not all in the now about conformation, but those dogs do look better than most I have seen, or what is portrayed to the general public.

I think getting working lines into shows is a great idea.

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Master Member

Thanks for the link. I'm going to be a glass half full kind of person here. I was really happy to see a move away from the most extreme. I've been to shows many years back where the winner was the dog least likely to be able to make it up a flight of steps. They were horrible. I remember that dog Dallas, and thought, finally the breeders are starting to get it. But they seemed to go right back to what they knew. Many of these dogs were still a bit weak in the hind end and cow hocked, but over all, I think it was a much sounder lot than I've seen in the past. As a WL person, it's hard not to pick them apart, but they seem much improved.

Cinzar's Dark Shadow Too (Ruger) CGC, RN 1/8/05
SG Quinn Z Old Farm (Cues) IPO 3, KKL 6/7/09
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
That is why I want to show my working lines. Everybody is complaining but almost nobody seems to step up to show them. I WILL!

Let us get situated, buy our first house, move yet again and have me get the two bitches over, Judge grow into an age where I can show him and I'll go into the ring.
Bravo Mrs. K! I for one will cheer you on......unfortunately not in person as I'm in Colorado.... No one steps up to show the WL's because they are convinced (and rightly so) that they will get nowhere, at least not with AKC. However perhaps the "right" judge is out there for you, and again I applaud your determination. Go for it!!!

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Ble BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

In the show rings in ontario , when the FCI judges come over from australia and europe , they have a tendency to pick the german working and showlines. Unfortunately there are not alot of the these dogs being shown at this time... for those interested
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, yes bring your working lines into the show ring. Then you can listen to all the crappy comments, like -- those are the best... 1/2 dog 1/2 frog going on, blah blah blah. They will say similar nasty comments about your working line dogs.

I am sorry, but listening to working line people berate the show lines just gets old. Go out and show your dogs. Then you can complain about how the judges never put them up. Win win situation.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:23 PM

i just love how the guy in the beginning of the video whacks the dog. jackass

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Echo Von Schwarzwald......6/25/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sarge vom Buchonia 5/20/2011

Jackson-----------JRT 2/14/2000
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Yes, yes bring your working lines into the show ring. Then you can listen to all the crappy comments, like -- those are the best... 1/2 dog 1/2 frog going on, blah blah blah. They will say similar nasty comments about your working line dogs.
I'd love to see some working lines in the ring next to the show lines. I think the general public would be totally confused, but it sure would be interesting to see which was the public favorite.

As for getting nasty comments, is anyone who shows or trials dogs immune?
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
I'd love to see some working lines in the ring next to the show lines. I think the general public would be totally confused, but it sure would be interesting to see which was the public favorite.

As for getting nasty comments, is anyone who shows or trials dogs immune?
No, no-one is immune - it's a dog eat dog world (pun intended.) I had friends who showed Malamutes - the politics and general nastiness were evident in those rings too. Anyone who is involved with showing has to have a fairly thick skin, because it isn't necessarily the best dog that wins - often it's the most aggressively promoted, with a very well known handler, which gets the nod. You need a lot of bucks to get to something like Westminster.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anja1Blue View Post
No, no-one is immune - it's a dog eat dog world (pun intended.) I had friends who showed Malamutes - the politics and general nastiness were evident in those rings too. Anyone who is involved with showing has to have a fairly thick skin, because it isn't necessarily the best dog that wins - often it's the most aggressively promoted, with a very well known handler, which gets the nod. You need a lot of bucks to get to something like Westminster.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
I was just talking about this subject with my trainer last night. The general dog show confirmation ring is a dog eat dog place. The dogs that are promoted the most get the most attention from judges. They advertise in journals judges read, etc to put their dog's picture out there so the judges recognize them in the ring and judges do have their favorites. It isn't always the best dog that wins. I know of one occasion where a paid handler told a friend of mine that her dog was much better than the one he was handling and that it should have won but that it wouldn't win with her showing it as an unknown person. He did hang out with her and talked to her where the judges could see them together for an hour or so and her dog won the Best Bitch in the next showing. Of course that doesn't mean that she doesn't have one of the best bitch Aussie's, it just means that you get judged by who you know in the show ring. Her Aussie is related to Biance.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Crowned Member

This can be the case at times but not always. We have been put up over dogs handled by Jimmy and Kent. Heck, once I was on the lead for 4 points and for sure I don't "know" anyone. You can find judges who are their own person.

It is complex in the show world though. One has to do some homework. Learn the judges, learn the type they may put up etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page