Herding Instinct Test - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Herding Instinct Test

Twin County Schutzhund Club, Olympia/Tacoma, WA will be presenting a Herding Instinct Test and Junior Herding Dog Test on May 21, 2011. This will be held at Ewetopia in Roy, WA. For more info, please follow the link.
UPCOMING EVENTS

SBD Posejpal's Leyna, HCTs 6/16/2010
SBD Posejpal's Hades, 5/9/12

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:28 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Anyone that lives anywhere within 2 hours should do this with their dogs! So much fun and NOT about training! All about the natural instinct of our dogs, so cool to see.

Go early to watch the other dogs too!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:51 PM

So any dog can enter without any previous training with herding? Are they simply placed in a herding situation and observed with what instincts arise? I am very interested in learning more.

Texas Lone Star Ranger Black GSD 06/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:10 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRed26 View Post
So any dog can enter without any previous training with herding? Are they simply placed in a herding situation and observed with what instincts arise? I am very interested in learning more.
I've tested 2 dogs and they never saw a sheep until we got there for the test!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
I am entering Leyna and she has never seen sheep or ducks. The sheep I'm not worried about. The ducks on the other hand...well, I hope they are fast. She loves to chase birds.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:53 AM

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Knighted Member

Does anyone know if there are any similar events in the Ontario area?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax's Mom View Post
Does anyone know if there are any similar events in the Ontario area?
Try going to the AHBA website. They may have affiliates listed but I do not know for sure.

At the rainbow bridge:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Yes, that is the case. It's all about instinct. Minka earned her HIC last November on sheep. There was a 6 months of age minimum. Minka was 6 mos 3 days. It was fun and I was so proud of her.

The Herding Instinct Test that we did had the owner stay out of the pen and just let the evaluator work the dog, if possible, meaning if the dog would perform that way. Of the 12 dogs I watched (there were more than that entered), Minka was one of two dogs that worked without the owner going in with them! I handed the evaluator the lead and she never looked back. She had great time and did very well.

Since then we found a guy closer by who does herding instruction. We went there 4 times after the HIC but the herding is on hold right now due to the snow and cold - Minka and I would go but the herder wasn't diggn the weather

So this winter it's agility and Schutzhund. I'm going to see how Minka's herding goes this spring and might have to talk the hubby into fencing in a pasture and getting some sheep for Minka.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HIC, CD, IPO 2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page