German Shepherds Forum banner

Prong Collar Recomendations

5K views 55 replies 13 participants last post by  Frisco19 
#1 ·
My breeder is holding a session this weekend for all litter owners on introducing a prong collar. It’s been 10 years since I have bought one. Got any favorite brands for me?

Please and thanks.

#15 ·
Be careful with Amazon. I have historically ordered 3 prongs from them. 2 were cheap knockoffs. It seems the black ones and currogan ones are usually the real deal. The chrome ones are easy for people to make knock offs of. So if you have to go Prime (I live by Prime) get either a black or currogan(sp?) one

#29 ·
I got mine in a class where the trainer orders in bulk from the manufacturer. I think he charged $20 each and made no profit. That was four years ago. I hardly ever use it but when I do, it’s very nice. It’s a little hard to squeeze the prongs in but make sure you don’t bend them.

#34 ·
I've got lots of OCD hangups in the buying sh!t department! You should see how many Apple Leather Cases I have that only fit iphone that I only keep for 12 months! Frisco has a friggin toy box better than my kids had:surprise:

I know you said you pup is a long coat. You can always call and ask to see how that works on long coated dogs.
Yeah, he is long, I went with the traditional one. I don't want to get picked on at puppy prong collar school this weekend:silly::rofl::rofl:

#35 ·
Reactions: cvamoca
#37 ·
@Frisco19 you will probably like the letgo app can sell some of those cases on there! He would of been the most stylish one there lol! Its not as strong of a correction as the traditional prong collar but to me just the right amount needed. I found that the dogs transfer nice to flat collars or fur savers but is still use these collars most of the time in case I need a correction.
herm sprengers are the best though which ever one so you choose -can’t go wrong holds up in salt water/ snow. I had mine for a few years and look brand new will probably last forever and expensive enough that I will use forever.
Luna-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#38 ·
Thanks. Oh yeah, I have had to learn how to sell over the years to supplement my vices. I have many!

I think I like the flat band on the black one vs the chain choke for the reasons stated in terms of hair getting caught.

#40 ·
I much prefer the 2.5mm collars with lots of extra links. They are easier to put on and take off. They stand away from the neck of the dog less. They spread the force out more evenly.

#49 ·
Yup. It's been awhile since I did it. I have to look at one again but you take the plate out, remove an end and then flip the rest of the prongs around.

It depends on what I'm doing. I actually keep mine loose most of the time because I use it for tracking and never remember to take the link out for obedience.

#46 ·
I ended up sticking with the nickel plated one from Amazon. I looked into black, but that is just painted stainless steel and I figured the black would wear off over time and it would look terrible. Totally over thinking it for sure!

I don't think he is going to be the kind of dog that needs it on 24x7. A co-worker has a crazy high drive all black long hair that she must keep it on for. My guy is still pretty young, so we will begin to introduce him to it Saturday. I have some experience, but that was 10 years ago so looking forward to a brush up.

A few things for sure I need it for - barking at people, especially at my door and lunging at joggers. He has high prey drive. Anything that moves! But bark correction is a perfect fit for the prong right now. I've got him waling shoulder to knee and looking up at me while doing this on command, BUT only with food rewards. Need to start weening him off reward treats, but that all a puppy knows right now. Toy rewards are starting. I take the high reward ones away and put them in a toy box. He is starting to look at them as a reward. Anyway, I am digressing. Thanks for your help all!

#47 ·
Here is my boy with the buckle style large prong collar with a martingale as a back up. Both are clipped together. The martingale is always slack and is there to carry id tags and work if the prong collar fails. Since my boy walks well more often than not, I added a link to make the collar more relaxed. The buckle being on the back of the neck means the prongs are seldom felt unless he gets stubborn and wants me to walk faster. In this photo the buckle has slipped to the side. I suspect I wasn't careful putting it onto his neck.

My gal-dog, with shorter fur has the smaller links. Often I put the prong collar around her neck but only clip the leash to the martingale. I only clip the leash to the martingale if distractions are excessive.

Attachments

#48 · (Edited)
Thick fur I would imagine to take into consideration it’s why I mentioned to call for the collar i recommended. Also the size and age, training ,dog. Karat wore a smaller medium size prong not that big. He pulled like a freight train with out it and a toddler could walk him once his prong collar went on. With the dogs now I think at one time I had tried all the different size prongs, half collar half prong, full prong, buckles - no buckles.

#50 ·
https://youtube.com/watch?v=k560DfnfyxI
I like that the plate keeps the prongs from sliding around. When I am working on focused heeling including a static focused heel with distractions, I put the collar on the opposite of in the video with the live ring under the dog's neck. The plate keeps the prongs from sliding and repeated pops up on the collar when the dog's eyes or head go toward the distraction is very effective at keeping the dog focused on you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.