Best Balls recommendations - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Best Balls recommendations

I started using Tennis balls when Jack first came to live with. I had them on hand. I knew that regular tennis balls are not good for a dog. Too abrasive is my understanding. I didn't expect Jack to be so influenced by the ball. It quickly became a better reward than food rewards. I collected and disposed of all Tennis balls and started looking for a pet-safe alternative. I have tried all kinds of tennis ball look-alikes but then don't bounce the same and generally pop with a few jaws crunches. I have bought a bunch of chuck it balls and he is ok with those but really still not a big fan, they are a bit small. You can tell he is not a fan when I throw it and he runs to it, around it and back to me without it. lol He will go get it if I request, it but it is certainly his way of telling me he does not like it. I would love to find him a ball he loves and I can stock up. Kinda felt particularly bad when he nose led him to the bag of tennis balls .. had to get them out of the house lol got to love the nose

Needless to say, there are many choices and I have purchased many. I thought perhaps I might be able to get some recommendations on dog safe balls before I resort to additional shots in the dark. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwylie View Post
I started using Tennis balls when Jack first came to live with. I had them on hand. I knew that regular tennis balls are not good for a dog. Too abrasive is my understanding. I didn't expect Jack to be so influenced by the ball. It quickly became a better reward than food rewards. I collected and disposed of all Tennis balls and started looking for a pet-safe alternative. I have tried all kinds of tennis ball look-alikes but then don't bounce the same and generally pop with a few jaws crunches. I have bought a bunch of chuck it balls and he is ok with those but really still not a big fan, they are a bit small. You can tell he is not a fan when I throw it and he runs to it, around it and back to me without it. lol He will go get it if I request, it but it is certainly his way of telling me he does not like it. I would love to find him a ball he loves and I can stock up. Kinda felt particularly bad when he nose led him to the bag of tennis balls .. had to get them out of the house lol got to love the nose

Needless to say, there are many choices and I have purchased many. I thought perhaps I might be able to get some recommendations on dog safe balls before I resort to additional shots in the dark. Thanks!

I have not found a ball as good as a plain old Wilson tennis ball. The cheap ones don't bounce and fall apart way too easily. We covet a single tennis ball, Daisy and I play after I finish the barn work, but like Ellie's golf balls (she can hold three!) they are only for play and then get put away down at hubby's shop. If she doesn't bring it to me or decides to go and chew it, it gets put away and the game is over. We do have other balls, 2 that are kindof neat, you can stuff food in them but they are heavier than I can throw them well and for quiet chewing time in the house. But a yellow tennis ball rules the world.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Knighted Member

Tennis balls of any kind will wear down your dog's teeth! You may not notice it right away, but a dog that frequently plays with tennis balls WILL show considerable wear on the teeth by 3 or 4 yrs of age!

My dog likes Chuck it balls that have holes in both ends. They're chewier than the regular Chuck it balls, and they whistle when thrown. A larger, and very tough ball she has comes from ruffwear.com

https://ruffwear.com/collections/dog...reat-dispenser
Sunsilver, jwylie and cvamoca like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Crowned Member

We’ve use tennis balls, various chuck it balls, but mine (all 4 gsds) love Orbee “diamond plate” or the Orbee “world ball”. My dogs have ripped off the continents off of the world ball quickly, however the ball itself is still intact and it’s a favorite.
cvamoca likes this.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:20 PM
Crowned Member

I don't use anything that doesn't have a string or a hole in it. I prefer the Julius K9 balls because the string is easier on my hands. And you can really whip those balls or the Gappay balls with the string so they have to run long distances.
Sunsilver and cvamoca like this.

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:47 PM

I envision smacking myself in the chops while winging it around my head like a mace/flail.
Koda'sMom likes this.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:51 PM
Crowned Member

These are the best for me you buy them by the dozen. Sometimes you can find them second hand. There are two sizes.
https://www.amazon.com/Jugs-Sting-Fr...33XBV2PJTQ7V7P
cvamoca likes this.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 05:01 PM

My prior GSD used to like these Slingshot Balls:
Pro Ball Go-Frrr Slingshot-Action Dog Fetch Toy, Double Play Kit
https://www.amazon.com/Go-Frrr-Sling...0002I0LN6?th=1
The squeak & light balls referenced below are a favorite for my current 14-month GSD . They bounce well. I have used these mostly in the house, for a game I call "balls on the wall in the halls". As an alternative to playing outside, I bounce several of these balls on the hall walls & between the hall & kitchen. I haven't figured it out, but Cassie hasn't destroyed any of these balls, and I leave them laying around and available for play (in multiple sizes). The lights have a limited life, but they still bounce & squeak, after the light fails. She generally gives more attention to the smaller ones., for some reason. I've tried various outdoor ball games (with other types of balls), but Cassie hasn't shown much enthusiasm yet. At some point, I may take some of the Squeak & Light balls outside. With shorter days & bad weather ahead, I'll likely reserve these balls for indoor play.
Gnawsome Squeak & Light LED Ball Dog Toy
https://www.chewy.com/gnawsome-squea...-dog/dp/166238
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 05:06 PM
Banned

I accidentally learned what Crios and Seiran go crazy over. We bought a few rubber treat balls, to keep them active when I was just out of surgery. The kids opened them, and they went nutzo. No treats were in the ball, and we’ve used them as high value toys ever since. There are a ton on Amazon, different sizes as well. They love the nubby one most, but the other two are still high value toys for them as well. Can’t link to amazon, I use the app, but here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6F435186-D953-4B0C-920D-93822F310901_1570569135216.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	526115  
cvamoca likes this.

Last edited by Jchrest; 10-08-2019 at 05:12 PM.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 05:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvamoca View Post
I envision smacking myself in the chops while winging it around my head like a mace/flail.
Don't do that. LOL Imagine it like skipping rocks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in