Dogtra E-Fence 3500 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By David Winners

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Dogtra E-Fence 3500

I just installed a Dogtra E-Fence 3500. I use Dogtra 1900 collars, and I like them a lot, so I stuck with the brand when I decided an E-Fence would benefit us.

It's a quality built unit. Installation took about 3 hours to install 1000' of wire with the use of a trencher. I did get some monster 14g wire with 60 mil jacket on it as the wire that came in the kit was a little small for my taste. I'm sure it would work fine for most people, but my back yard is an ever transforming place with lots of little projects and I figured the heavy wire may stand up to the occasional nick with a shovel, brick or something.

I like that the receiver is very similar to my 1900 models and they use the same charger. It comes with a standard Dogtra buckle collar that I switched out for a Hawx collar(s). I also got 2 extra receivers. I also like that the warning is vibration, like the 1900, so I could use the 1900 for training and then switch to the 3500 after the dogs understood the rules. I like that the distance from the boundary wire at which the receiver activates is adjustable in a linear manner. So far it's been a good purchase.

Training was easy. It is really just there as a safeguard for when the dogs are out with the granddaughter and she's not paying attention. All the dogs are collar literate, so it was just a matter of showing them the rules and proofing under distraction.
wolfstraum likes this.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 08:21 AM
Crowned Member

Does it have levels of stim? If so, how many?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
By the literature, there are 8 levels of stim, but the stim is adjusted by an infinitely variable knob with 8 numbers, plus off, around it. The knob is small, but it's easy to dial in fine adjustments. So, you can dial in 2.25 easily. In testing it on myself, a 1 on the 3500 is about 16 on the 1900. You can definitely go below 1 if you have a very sensitive dog.

I laid all the ground work with the 1900, so I had 127 levels of stim to work with. All the dogs are already collar literate so I'm not so worried about a little nick above their working level freaking them out.

2 dogs took 2 nicks total. 1 dog I had to really push the distraction to get him to stay in the active zone and get a nick. The vibration was a clear enough signal on its own.

After previously training a few dogs on e-fence behavior using a remote collar with vibrate for the initial training, and then switching to a tone based warning e-fence, I would recommend using similar collars for both training phases, or just using the e-fence collar from the start.

We're actually out doing distraction training now. We have a load of dog walkers in our neighborhood and this is prime time for training. One of the dogs just rushed a dog walker, got the warning vibration, recalled all the way to me and laid down without any intervention from me, other than to put my hand on the long line for safety in case be blew through the fence.

We will work on having no reaction to other dogs in the future, but I wanted to test his reaction to the e-fence and he did well.

All in all, I feel there is a big advantage to working with similar collars if you are going to be using a remote trainer for some work and an e-fence for containment. When we start on general reactivity training, the stim and warning will be the same, not that I plan on using vibrate for that training, but ya never know.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 05:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
By the literature, there are 8 levels of stim, but the stim is adjusted by an infinitely variable knob with 8 numbers, plus off, around it. The knob is small, but it's easy to dial in fine adjustments. So, you can dial in 2.25 easily. In testing it on myself, a 1 on the 3500 is about 16 on the 1900. You can definitely go below 1 if you have a very sensitive dog.

I laid all the ground work with the 1900, so I had 127 levels of stim to work with. All the dogs are already collar literate so I'm not so worried about a little nick above their working level freaking them out.

2 dogs took 2 nicks total. 1 dog I had to really push the distraction to get him to stay in the active zone and get a nick. The vibration was a clear enough signal on its own.

After previously training a few dogs on e-fence behavior using a remote collar with vibrate for the initial training, and then switching to a tone based warning e-fence, I would recommend using similar collars for both training phases, or just using the e-fence collar from the start.

We're actually out doing distraction training now. We have a load of dog walkers in our neighborhood and this is prime time for training. One of the dogs just rushed a dog walker, got the warning vibration, recalled all the way to me and laid down without any intervention from me, other than to put my hand on the long line for safety in case be blew through the fence.

We will work on having no reaction to other dogs in the future, but I wanted to test his reaction to the e-fence and he did well.

All in all, I feel there is a big advantage to working with similar collars if you are going to be using a remote trainer for some work and an e-fence for containment. When we start on general reactivity training, the stim and warning will be the same, not that I plan on using vibrate for that training, but ya never know.
Good to know. I've considered buying the Dogtra fence a few times. In FL on my 10 acres to keep the dogs away from the ponds (gators). Wound up just doing it with supervision and e collars.

And up here I have a bigger property than I could fence all of.

I have gotten by using my 1902 when I needed it but I may find a use for the e fence yet. My middle dog likes to just hang around with my husband while he is working on the tractor and stuff. He is pretty darn good about staying with him but it makes me a little nervous.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page