Leash or Harness while riding a bike? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Leash or Harness while riding a bike?

Hello I was just curious if there was something that would be recommended for exercising a dog while riding a bike. My dog has a ton of energy so I thought it may be a good idea to ride a bike so that he can run faster than his current walks we go on. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:05 PM
Master Member

How old is your dog? They should NOT be running on concrete with a bike at all if they are young

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:49 PM

I prefer taking walks with a harness and long line. The dog can get a lot more out of the walk. I use a 30' nylon or cotton line.
Sabis mom likes this.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:07 PM
Master Member

Curious. What kind of harness do you use David? Thank

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:29 PM

It depends on the day lol. I have a lot of harnesses. My favorite things to have in a harness for walking are:

1) a ring at the rear so the leash stays out from under the dog.

2) something easy to get on and off.

3) the right length for the dog. I like the leash to attach about 2/3 of the way back from the base of the neck, towards the butt. Too far forward and you have to be on your game to keep the leash out from under the dog. Too far back and it's strange for the dog because even small amounts of pressure will pull their rear around.

My favorite is a harness I got from Vohne Liche Kennels. I haven't found another exactly like it. I have a couple from Elite K9 that I like. One particularly on longer dogs. I can get the models if you are interested.

I own 2 cheap, no name puppy harnesses, a RuffWear with a backpack, and 7-8 tactical harnesses from the usual companies. I don't like how the RuffWear goes on, because it has a strap that goes between the front legs. I prefer just a simple chest strap for a walking harness. Over the head, snap 2 buckles on the chest and belly straps and go. The RuffWear is built really cheap compared to the tactical harnesses, but it was priced accordingly.

I guess I'm spoiled. I have some really nice harnesses with cobra buckles and very high build quality. They were very expensive, but I needed jump ratings and something that would never break during a mission. You can certainly spend far less on a harness and have just as much fun with your dog!
Sabis mom and Chuck94! like this.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:41 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
It depends on the day lol. I have a lot of harnesses. My favorite things to have in a harness for walking are:

1) a ring at the rear so the leash stays out from under the dog.

2) something easy to get on and off.

3) the right length for the dog. I like the leash to attach about 2/3 of the way back from the base of the neck, towards the butt. Too far forward and you have to be on your game to keep the leash out from under the dog. Too far back and it's strange for the dog because even small amounts of pressure will pull their rear around.

My favorite is a harness I got from Vohne Liche Kennels. I haven't found another exactly like it. I have a couple from Elite K9 that I like. One particularly on longer dogs. I can get the models if you are interested.

I own 2 cheap, no name puppy harnesses, a RuffWear with a backpack, and 7-8 tactical harnesses from the usual companies. I don't like how the RuffWear goes on, because it has a strap that goes between the front legs. I prefer just a simple chest strap for a walking harness. Over the head, snap 2 buckles on the chest and belly straps and go. The RuffWear is built really cheap compared to the tactical harnesses, but it was priced accordingly.

I guess I'm spoiled. I have some really nice harnesses with cobra buckles and very high build quality. They were very expensive, but I needed jump ratings and something that would never break during a mission. You can certainly spend far less on a harness and have just as much fun with your dog!
Thank you! Gonna give Elite K9 a check!

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:32 PM

I have and like the Elite Special Operations harness with Cobra buckles which is my favorite other than the VLK harness I have, a Ray Allen Modular harness which is great for long dogs, a Julius rappelling harness which is overkill for a pet owner, and a couple basic patrol harnesses that I don't care for. I really like a chest and belly strap. I find the single strap harnesses shift around too much when using a long line. They are ok for short leash work or just to have a handle on the dog and a place for a velcro sign..
Sabis mom and Chuck94! like this.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:55 PM

newbie tip. Run on softer surfaces if you can. Running on black top can be tough on dogs. I found that during the learning phase it was easier on all of us if I put the seat of the bicycle all the way down. Both of my feet easily reached the ground so if my dog zigged or zagged I could steady myself quickly.
Aly and Sabis mom like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:32 PM
Banned

I used to bike with Crios a lot, and I found harnesses way easier to use than a collar. Because he could pull much faster than I could peddle, we used a non pull harness. He would run in the grass while I rode on the sidewalk. We did early morning are late nights so there weren’t too many people out to where I had to cross into the street to allow them to pass. Worked well for us, and Crios loved it.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
I have and like the Elite Special Operations harness with Cobra buckles which is my favorite other than the VLK harness I have, a Ray Allen Modular harness which is great for long dogs, a Julius rappelling harness which is overkill for a pet owner, and a couple basic patrol harnesses that I don't care for. I really like a chest and belly strap. I find the single strap harnesses shift around too much when using a long line. They are ok for short leash work or just to have a handle on the dog and a place for a velcro sign..
I still have Sabs patrol harness but it doesn't fit punk, which is a shame because it's quite different then the patrol harnesses I was just looking at. Glad someone brought up harnesses because I really want one for hiking and I dislike the cheapy one I grabbed at the pet store.
OP do pay attention to fit. My current dog is apparently an odd shape so things that say they fit German Shepherds do not work on her. I tried a couple of regular harnesses on her that looked like they fit but slopped and slid around as she moved making the leash go to awkward angles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page