German Shepherds Forum banner

Ruffwear Float Coat Size Help

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Moonshayde 
#1 ·
Anyone have the ruffwear float coat and a large dog?

I want to get one for my 80lb puppy for paddle boarding but I am not sure how he will fill out so am not sure what size to get.

How/where do Shepherds typically fill out from 9 months on? He still looks pretty gangly to me...

Right now he is 33.5 inches around the girth where the site says to measure, so according to the chart, a size L.

But he is only 9 months old and I do not know if he will fill out enough in the area of the vest to matter?

Their largest size is XL at 36-38 inches at the girth. Getting one too large would suck. Anyone have any ideas if I should get the X Large size or stick with the Large? I would hate it to be too big and loose.

#2 ·
Our dogs can fill out a bit more up until 1 1/2 or 2 years old. The adjustment straps are pretty generous with room to be let out. Too large will feel awkward on him. What I did was go to a Bass Pro Shop that carried Float Coats and tried them on my dogs. That told me more than reading charts on the web site.

#5 ·
Thanks guys! The photos really help!

I honestly believe he will be at least 90lbs but I may go ahead and get a large for now. I can always get another one later even though that sux. Like Car2ner suggested I may try find a place I can try them on him first. He has a really skinny neck right now and I think the XL would not fit good there.

#7 ·
thanks. I actually wrote to Ruffwear and they said the same thing. I picked up a large today and it should be fine.

I would take a picture but...he is scared of it!!! This did not even cross my mind :O

My dogs have always just trusted me :( I did some quick clicker training and even after 5 min he was better and grabbing a treat though the neck piece. A few more sessions and he should be fine. Not the bravest thing...sigh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.