Tug selection - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By NancyJ
  • 1 Post By NancyJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Tug selection

Guys since I don't "do" bitework but use tug as a reward I would really like some help on tug selection. I know most of the LE around here use heater hose but I am wanting something yellow easy for my dog to target. I have been using the elite k9 balls on a string but they don't last and this one handed thing is tearing me up.

I bought a 2" diameter redline firehose tug that floats (water search training) and Beau lit up. It is much firmer than tugs I have before and seems safer than the softer french linen tugs because he does not seem as inclined to rebite (well a couple of times he slacked and i popped it out of his mouth and he got the idea)...........

So I am in a new zone as is he. But he was way over the top for this compared to the toy on a string. And I can get a better out because I can immobilize it (sort of...he can still pull me around but I can immobilize it relative to my body)

Handles, no handles? Length?
Types? Jute, french linen, firehose
Diameter?
Is there a primer on all this?
It seems to be best if I hold it without them - I did teach out with an old 1" nylon tug but that is kind of flimsy for continued use.

I bought this redline floating yellow firehose tug because I wanted something better for water search training and was not expecting the ramp up on his ...excitement about the new toy.....and I think the bright yellow really does help with targeting

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:48 PM
Elite Member

Handles for sure..two. And go om Leerburg.com. They have a great DVD for sale on the power of playing tug with your dog. But they also have a lot of great free videos and articles. Gunny is my 7th working dog, 5th as a puppy. I still go ther a lot for info. And finally learning to present the tug and keep my fingers intact. Their tugs are kind of pricy. I usually get my stuff at All K9. Usually no shipping charges and owner is a veteran. And I haven't formally worked my last three dogs. Gunny was going to get me back into the sport until an upper canine extraction. Have fun and watch your finfers😁

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:54 PM

I have nothing useful to add, only to share that my dog and I play tug with a long stuffed squeaky fox (which I call "long fox"). He likes it so much that sometimes he puts it in his bed and sleeps with it.

Somehow I think that whipping out a long stuffed fox would ruin the image of a serious working dog!!

Oh and here is a yellow firehose tug...
http://leerburg.com/1266.htm

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix

Last edited by GSDchoice; 05-10-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:34 PM
Knighted Member

My advice, for what it's worth, all dogs have their own preferences and people have their own styles of play. So find what your dog and you are most excited and comfortable with and go with that one! LOL!

I realize it might not be the comment you're looking for, but hopeful that it underscores the value of reading the dog in front of you! In the end, it doesn't matter what's best period, it matters what your dog thinks is best!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:31 PM
Elite Member

I like leather. I think it is more forgiving on the teeth. Flat or the fat ones, I don't like two handles. One handle works for me. Been a while since played with tugs...mostly ball on rope now.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Thanks for the insights.

What actually did drive me was a rebite and a bit hand using a softer tug. And the fact that I need two hands to hang on, one hand is just tearing up my hand and shoulder. With Beau I also get much more intensity with a regular tug than the ball on the string. He can push it into me and then pulls full force. Ok. I am thinking that a 2 x12 no handled tug would be the way to go. The balls are great for targeting the hide but I can still use a ball then present the tug to finish a high value reward.

When I inherited Tilly, her handler did not want her to play tug but when I got her going with it she is even more intense than Beau. For her it is about possession, for him it is about the interaction. She is the one tearing up my shoulder more than him. [I was just blown away by how the tug vs the ball changed the game for him] ... right now she won't bite a hard tug but will a softer french linen so it may be some transition.

I like leather as well but I really want that yellow color as I am sold on how easy it is for the dog to see. My ideal tug would be a rod that is made out of knobby ball on a string material

Yes both a police officer and Leerburg video showed me how to use a no handled 1" tug to get the out by making it dead and then rewarding it and I have watched some of the videos that point to larger diameter softer tugs for puppies progressiong to smaller harder tugs but there is not a comprehensive article on tug selection I can find.

All K9 looks like a find - They carry a good selection - owned by a veteran - and free shipping looks good -- A little higher than their competition but definitely in the mix.
dogbyte likes this.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:11 AM
Master Member

www.almk9equipment.com has a good selection of tugs in a wide variety of colors. Their tugs are all made out of French Linen.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

It looks like I can get yellow french linen for Tilly there since she is not so keen on the firehose. Thanks........they have been hard to find in stock elswhere.
Bramble likes this.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page