Prong Fitting Question? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Prong Fitting Question?

My 8 month female GSD is currently wearing a herm sprenger 2.25 with two extra links. The problem is that it slides down way to much with the two extra links. If I take one of the links out it stays much higher and snug on her neck and is really hard to rotate especially with her her fur and extra skin...she has a lot of extra neck skin, she looks like a cobra sometimes. But if I walk her with the large setting she basically ignores the corrections and its like walking her on a flat collar, she just pulls. I correct and she calms down for a second and than back at pulling. Should I wait for her to grow some more and walk her with a front clip harness? Or should I just add one extra link and leave on snug?

I dont want her to think she is getting corrected/constantly feeling pressure on her neck for no reason. This is my first GSD and first puppy I have ever raised so all info/input would be greatly appreciated.
Datura likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:59 PM

It shouldn’t rotate. Don’t make it as loose as a choke chain.
Put up high behind ears.
No harness.
Pop the prong, if you do it right she won’t ignore. Be fair. Be firm. Be consistent.
Short positive lessons. Good luck.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:31 PM
Master Member

I know that this is not the question you are asking, but have you tried the various training techniques for loose leash walking yet? (i.e. stopping when she pulls, turning when she pulls, praising/rewarding when leash is loose, etc) I think that loose leash walking is something you can "teach" your dog, rather than having her be controlled/corrected by the equipment...although I know it is hard when they are young and energetic!

( I was able to "teach" my middle-aged dog...he was crazy on the leash when we first got him, and I started to really focus on training him when my shoulder started bothering me a bit.)
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddRob View Post
My 8 month female GSD is currently wearing a herm sprenger 2.25 with two extra links. The problem is that it slides down way to much with the two extra links. If I take one of the links out it stays much higher and snug on her neck and is really hard to rotate especially with her her fur and extra skin...she has a lot of extra neck skin, she looks like a cobra sometimes. But if I walk her with the large setting she basically ignores the corrections and its like walking her on a flat collar, she just pulls. I correct and she calms down for a second and than back at pulling. Should I wait for her to grow some more and walk her with a front clip harness? Or should I just add one extra link and leave on snug?

I dont want her to think she is getting corrected/constantly feeling pressure on her neck for no reason. This is my first GSD and first puppy I have ever raised so all info/input would be greatly appreciated.
If you are unsure about fitting a prong then my advice is to find a trainer. Improper fit means improper use. You will end up doing more harm then good. I question whether a prong is needed. Since you admit that you lack experience I strongly suggest you find a good trainer.
huntergreen, Datura and Natra like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
I know that this is not the question you are asking, but have you tried the various training techniques for loose leash walking yet? (i.e. stopping when she pulls, turning when she pulls, praising/rewarding when leash is loose, etc) I think that loose leash walking is something you can "teach" your dog, rather than having her be controlled/corrected by the equipment...although I know it is hard when they are young and energetic!

( I was able to "teach" my middle-aged dog...he was crazy on the leash when we first got him, and I started to really focus on training him when my shoulder started bothering me a bit.)
Yes, she dosent care. Spent 20 minutes walking back and forth in a 4 foot line, back and forth. Didnt get the concept. When I took her for training with her front clip harness/flat collar the trainer said she dosent understand leash pressure at all. She gave me a slip lead and made me choke her around and I didnt like that at all. The prongs dont choke her and she reacts to them most of the time. Shes very stubborn and isnt a soft dog, I honestly think I need to correct harder than I am since she seems like she dosent care when I give a slight correction.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:14 AM

I agree with Sabis mom about finding a trainer to help you learn about how to use the prong, but until then here is a video from Leerburg on how to fit the prong.

I had similar issues with my boy Dean, but he was in between sizes. If i removed a link, I couldn't get it to close, but if I left the link it would slip and be useless. He would act like it wasn't even there. I have heard from a few different trainer friends of mine that some dogs will be good with the prong a little slack, but most dogs need it high and tight. So you are going to want it snug, and right up under the jaw, behind the ears.

~Melissa~
Dean the gsd
Ella the EB
Minnie the cat
Herbie the cat
Cas the baby cat
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:33 AM
Elite Member

It should be very snug and high on her neck to be an effective correction tool, otherwise it just serves as power steering and if loose maybe not even that.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:10 AM
Crowned Member

First puppy. First GSD. There was a reason I did not explain. But now that others have please don't use it until you consult a trainer.
huntergreen and tim_s_adams like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:

As posted, find a trainer who is experienced with using a prong collar. If available by you, find a place where your pup can run free and drain some energy off. Over the years I found that this makes actual training much easier.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Yes, she dosent care. Spent 20 minutes walking back and forth in a 4 foot line, back and forth. Didnt get the concept. When I took her for training with her front clip harness/flat collar the trainer said she dosent understand leash pressure at all. She gave me a slip lead and made me choke her around and I didnt like that at all. The prongs dont choke her and she reacts to them most of the time. Shes very stubborn and isnt a soft dog, I honestly think I need to correct harder than I am since she seems like she dosent care when I give a slight correction.
Did the trainer make you walk back and forth? That seems wrong to me. I think you may need a new trainer, because between that and choking your dog it seems there is a breakdown somewhere.
You cannot correct a behavior until you teach a behavior and I have a tough dog, have had a few.

Dogs that forge ahead, I circle in on. Dogs that lag behind, I circle away from. Figure eights are awesome for getting dogs to pay attention so are quick direction changes BUT you cannot telegraph your intentions!
I like empty parking lots for training obedience because a) they tend to be boring and b) they have things like poles and lines that you can use as guides.
Put her in a properly fitted flat collar and walk. If she forges ahead turn around and walk the other way quickly and without warning. Map out a square and walk it. No communicating or coaxing just walk. When you're done turn around and walk it in the other direction. She doesn't need to understand leash pressure, there shouldn't be any. She needs to learn to watch what you are doing. Once she learns that you can use luring to put her in heel position.
And as @huntergreen said let her run, and pee, first. It is unbelievably tough to focus with a full bladder! I used to play frisbee with Shadow for 15 minutes or so before even attempting to do any training, otherwise she was a disaster.
huntergreen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page