Experienced Trainer But New to E-Collars - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Question Experienced Trainer But New to E-Collars

Need advice on introducing my dog to the e-collar.

I've bred, trained and worked GSDs for many, many years. I've never used an e-collar for training (although I used them for invisible fencing with limited results). I've have a rescue GSD for about 9 mos and while we've made a lot of progress, there are issues I want to address with an e-collar. One issue is fence-fighting, the other is bothering (not respecting) our two old cats.

Ella is 18 mos old. I got her at 11 mos from a family of 5 young boys and 3 adults (all living in a tiny duplex), who in turn, got her at 5 mos from a couple living in an apartment. The dog didn't even walk on a leash when I got her! They let her drag them with a harness because she'd chew through a leash if attached to her collar. She's very independent, sees people as entertainment and not necessarily as something to be obeyed. (If she had been temperament-tested as a 7 week old puppy she'd be the one to grab the balled up piece of paper and kept on going. ) She's demanding and pushy (yeah, a real charmer) who !BARKS! at you for attention or in protest. She's not particularly ball or toy oriented- loses interest after about 10 mins - and is only turned on by games of keep-away, a game I refuse to play for obvious reasons.

She submissively urinates, but only when she's happy, not when she's corrected. She'll take a correction like it's no big deal.

Regarding the e-collar, I'm not sure if I should start her out with warnings and vibrations? Should I go with a low shock? With her history she's a dog who's learned to ignore what or who is preventing her from what she wants. I don't want to teach her inadvertently to tolerate and thus ignore the collar by starting too low. I also don't want to over-correct her

She does have some good qualities... they're just hard to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:47 PM
Crowned Member

Given her past the independence you see may just be a lack of previous engagement work. I mentioned stubbornness about a dog a while back and someone else suggested a lack effective communication on my part, this turned out to be correct, I was the problem. I’m not saying you are, but we can all get “one dimensional” due to success with previous dogs and instead look for ways to tailor our training based on the dog in front of us.

I use an ecollar to correct for known commands. I had fence fighting issues too and by getting obedience to a high level I could recall mine or simply tell them to “leave it”. We started ecollar training with a trainer and would recommend doing the same to others starting out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page