Crate for the Car? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Crate for the Car?

My six month old puppy currently rides in my Kia Sorento in a plastic, hard-shell crate and it has worked great for us. Unfortunately, he's getting a little too big for it and it's the largest one I can find that will fit in my car. I am hoping someone can recommend a crate (maybe a soft-sided one?) that would fit in a mid-size SUV that a full-size GSD will fit in. Even better would be if I could break it down easily when the dog is not with me to see out the back window better.

If that's expecting too much out of a crate, does anyone use doggy seatbelts? My main concern is that I live in an area with very busy roads and crazy drivers and I don't want to be distracted by the puppy possibly chewing things he shouldn't be while I'm driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Crowned Member

I got harnesses that clip to the seatbelts. They wonít protect in a serious crash, but they keep them from flying around if I stop suddenly. I used Kurgo brand. I attach a traffic lead to the closed seat belt then clip it to the harness. Dogs can still slip around or twist the harnesses if they are very agile but itís better than nothing. I also have a Sleepypod Clickit which is crash tested and approved, but I canít figure out how to make it work with my seatbelts. If anyone else uses one, I would like to see how you attach yours.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
I got harnesses that clip to the seatbelts. They wonít protect in a serious crash, but they keep them from flying around if I stop suddenly. I used Kurgo brand. I attach a traffic lead to the closed seat belt then clip it to the harness. Dogs can still slip around or twist the harnesses if they are very agile but itís better than nothing. I also have a Sleepypod Clickit which is crash tested and approved, but I canít figure out how to make it work with my seatbelts. If anyone else uses one, I would like to see how you attach yours.
I also use the KurgoÖ.a zip line harness system. The zip line is attached to the handles on both sides of the car. Like LuvShepherds said, he won't fly around in a crash, but there is enough movement that he can possibly slam into the back of the front seat. So, not completely safe. I've been waiting for him to get fully grown which he's almost there, then buy a crate. So I've been looking at Impact Dog Crates, Ruff Tough Crates, and Gunner Kennels. VarioKennels are too complicated and I need something that I can take in and out of a car because sometimes I need the trunk (and back seats) for other purposes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:53 PM
Crowned Member

I use a large Varikennel for my smaller dog for a long drive, it fits in the back. Itís not a big deal, I just need to leave enough space so I can get the door opened. It fits in sideways so the door opens to one side rather than the back.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
I use a large Varikennel for my smaller dog for a long drive, it fits in the back. Itís not a big deal, I just need to leave enough space so I can get the door opened. It fits in sideways so the door opens to one side rather than the back.
Trying to find the right size is the key for me since I don't have easy access to any of them and when I do buy one it would be through the internet.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

Iím lucky my dog is small enough to fit. My other dog has an extra large crate and it wonít fit in my vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page