• 1 Post By Springbrz
  • 1 Post By middleofnowhere
  • 1 Post By Heartandsoul
  • 2 Post By Heartandsoul

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Dog ramp. Narrowed it down but need opinions

I narrowed my choice between the Solvit deluxe telescope but I would like to know how much spring/give happens at the mid point when the dog is unloading. My guy is 90 lbs.

I narrowed it down to either the Solvit or the Pet Loader light 4 step aluminum. I think I would choose the Pet Loader if it was 15lbs or under but the site say 22lbs. I can lift that much weight but not on a continuing basis. I'm just not as strong any more.

So I'm leaning more towards the Solvit but slightly hesitant of the amount of give while bearing the weight.

Any input from personal experience concerning that much weight on it is appreciated as I would like to order it very soon.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:45 AM

I'm afraid don't have any experience with either of those specific ramps, but I have used a Solvit Ultralite Bi-fold ramp. It is somewhat bulky, but worked well and only had slight give in the center with a 75lb dog. The weight range supported for the telescoping one looks to far exceed that for the bifold so I imagine its better reinforced. I know you would love personal experience and hopefully someone will chime in, but to supplement that have you already checked out reviews for the items on online sites?
Heartandsoul likes this.

Rose
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseW View Post
I'm afraid don't have any experience with either of those specific ramps, but I have used a Solvit Ultralite Bi-fold ramp. It is somewhat bulky, but worked well and only had slight give in the center with a 75lb dog. The weight range supported for the telescoping one looks to far exceed that for the bifold so I imagine its better reinforced. I know you would love personal experience and hopefully someone will chime in, but to supplement that have you already checked out reviews for the items on online sites?
I have checked reviews extensively in several ramps and styles on the companies site,, Amazon and also did a search here. Which helped a lot to narrowing it down to the two. The Solvit that I'm asking about is a bifold wt is 14lbs The trifold is 18lbs and teetering on being to heavy otherwise I would probably order that one.

I have seen the Solvit delux bifold being used but the GSD wasn't as big as my guy thus the question of how much bend. A while back I had the opportunity to try the Pet Loader out and my boy did well on it but the thing was just too much weight for me to deal with on a daily basis.

Thanks for your suggestion and thoughts.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:20 PM
Elite Member

I have a solvit deluxe telescoping ramp. I haven't used it in years. We purchased it for our previous arthritic senior dogs to go in and out without having to use the stairs in the garage and to get in and out of the car. One dog weighed in at 91 and the other at 80 and it was plenty sturdy. The only complaint I had with it was closing it down for transport. If you aren't careful when you release the lock when it slides into itself to reduce the size it can and will easily pinch your fingers/hands painfully. It's not something that ever prevented me from using it or recommending it. Just something to be aware of. Keep fingers, hands etc on the outside large edge when collapsing the unit. The side carry handle is a nice feature.
Heartandsoul likes this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:58 PM
Crowned Member

I like telescoping ramps. I have a solvit and an old dogramp in a model they no longer make. Full extension on either of these works for loading in a 4x4 pickup, unextended would work for loading in back seat or in car.
Heartandsoul likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks lots for all your input it was the last bit of what I was looking for. I just ordered it from chewey. @Springbrz, thanks for the fingers safety tip.
Springbrz likes this.

post #7 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Just a quick update. The ramp was delivered at about 1:30 on Tues (kudos to Chewey) and I really like it. Light and easy. My guy wasn't very impressed with this new way of getting in and out his expression was quite comical. Going down was just a matter of a couple of tries and not an issue, It was loading up. For almost eight years, his muscles were trained to tense up like a spring and jump in.

He's got it down now and thought I would end the thread with a happy update.
Cassidy's Mom and dogfaeries like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page